Sane's two goals ever in a single Champions League match rocks Hoffenheim at Etihad
Manchester City confirmed their top position in the Group F with a 2-1 win over Hoffenheim at the Etihad Stadium.
They now progress having collected 13 points in a group that also had Lyon and Shakhtar Donetsk. Leroy Sane was the hero as he scored the two goals that the English side needed to win the match. Andre Kramaric had put the German side ahead in the 15th minute but could not keep the lead in the entirety of the match.
Man City struggled from the onset and failed to assert authority that they are known for, Hoffenheim came close in the 7th minute after Foden gave up possession rather easily and Schultz was on point to collect it. Grillitsch raced to pick the ball from Schlutz but gathered to clear the mess before the visitors inflicted pain unto them.
Laporte grabbed Brenet from inside City’s area and that forced a decision from the referee. Hoffenheim were awarded the penalty and the Frenchman was lucky not to be yellow carded for that challenge from the back. Kramaric rose to take the penalty and did it with coolness and precision to hand the visitor’s a surprise lead at the Etihad. Kramaric scored is the fifth goal in the four appearances in the competition.
In the 18th minute, two minutes after City went down, Jesus saw his clever header hits the post and the rebound went untouched by either City man or the any of the visiting player. Baumann denied John Stones after the English defender headed from some ten-yards away. Unlucky City saw their effort hit the bar once more in the 20th minute. After Gundogan delivered a free kick, Otamendi flicked it and unfortunately saw his effort hit the woodwork and bounces back. Twice denied by their own turf’s post.
Sane, who had been buzzing all through the first half showed class through a free kick in the first minute of added time before the first half ended. Jesus was fouled as he broke from thirty yards away and Man City got a chance to put things at par from the dead ball, the German rose to the occasion and slotted cleverly and clinically over the wall and into the top right corner of Baumann.
Sterling, Bernado and Sane failed to beat Baumann in goal with the three men in blue breaking through in the 56th minute. Sterling sprinted for over 30-meters and teed Sane, the German found Bernado but his first touch was a letdown as the Hoffenheim goalkeeper blocked him from making a further threatening move. A typical Man City move failed to yield a typical Man City goal.
Sane grabbed his night’s brace after Sterling made a perfect run before setting him through. The winger took a touch before slotting into the net for City’s second. The goal came after a real fight from the hosts who looked desperate to get a lead as they dominated proceedings since the second whistle.
Sane, Sterling and Foden wasted open chances for man City in the last ten minutes that should have actually extended their lead. Hoffenheim did not simply succumbed to City’s press and continued attacking and that forced Pep Guardiola to introduce Vincent Kompany for Bernado Silva
- Manchester City has conceded three penalty goals at home in all competitions this season - as many as they had in 2016-17 and 2017-18 combined.
- City is unbeaten in their last six Champions League games against German opponents (W5 D1) since a 0-1 defeat to Bayern Munich in September 2014 - Guardiola was in charge of Bayern that day.
- After going 12 games without a loss at the Etihad Stadium in the Champions League (W9 D3), City has lost three of their last four there - though they did beat Shakhtar Donetsk 6-0 in their most recent such game.
- Guardiola is looking to lead his side to first place in the group stages for the ninth time in 10 seasons in the Champions League, only previously failing to do so in his first season with City (second in 2016-17).
- This will be City boss Guardiola's eighth competitive meeting against Hoffenheim as a manager. He's yet to suffer a defeat against them (W6 D1 L0), with six of those games coming in the Bundesliga while he was the manager of Bayern Munich.
- City's Riyad Mahrez has assisted more goals (four) than any other player in the Champions League this season, setting up a team-mate once every 75 minutes.
- Hoffenheim have played away from home against English opposition just once before; they lost 2-4 to Liverpool in the playoffs of the 2017-18 edition of the competition, being eliminated in the process.
- If Hoffenheim fail to beat City they will become the first to team finish bottom of their group despite scoring 10 or more goals since Olympiakos in 2002-03 (11 goals), and just the third side overall (also Monaco in 2000-01; 13 goals)
- Hoffenheim's Reiss Nelson could become the first Englishman to score against an English side in the Champions League for a non-British side.
Match stats: https://futaa.com/event/15511546
2015 - Leroy Sané is the first German player to score against German opposition in the Champions League since Mesut Özil vs Bayern Munich in October 2015. Beauty. pic.twitter.com/3AoIA3NFah— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) December 12, 2018