Manchester City will play Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup first leg semi-final with the latter's coach hoping that his side will enjoy the experience.
If Kevin De Bruyne will be handed playtime, then that might sound scaring for Albion as the Belgian has scored eight goals and assisted in four in twelve appearances.
“We are going to enjoy the experience. Nobody gives us much of a chance and quite rightly so. But it's great for our supporters. Some have followed the club for 40, 50, 60 years or more and never dreamt of being in a League Cup semi-final, so let's enjoy it. Every game you have a chance but it's just about what degree that chance is. Ours is extremely slim but there is always a chance in football. We won't go into detail about their players as that will frighten the life out of our lads. They know how good they are as they watch Match of the Day each week.” Nigel Clough, Albion manager said.
- City are participating in their 11th League Cup semi-final, qualifying for the final on six occasions (1969-70, 1973-74, 1975-76, 2013-14, 2015-16 and 2017-18); this is Burton's first League Cup semi-final.
- City have progressed from their last 10 League Cup ties against sides from a lower division, including a 3-0 win at League One side Oxford United in this season's third round.
- Burton are the first League One side to reach this stage of the League Cup since Sheffield United in 2014/15 - the Blades were then managed by current Brewers boss Nigel Clough.
- Kevin De Bruyne has scored eight goals and assisted four in 12 League Cup appearances for City.
Burton have eliminated a team from a higher division in four previous rounds of this season's League Cup, with only three teams ever eliminating five in one campaign - Swindon in 1968/69, Chester in 1974/75 and Bradford in 2012/13.
- City's last home League Cup match against a League One side was in September 2004, a 7-1 hammering of Barnsley.
- This will be third time Nigel Clough has managed in a League Cup semi-final, taking charge of Derby's second leg - a 2-4 defeat - against Manchester United in 2008-09 and leading Sheffield United to that stage in the 2014/15 campaign, losing to Tottenham.
⬇️ Get the latest Live scores, commentary, results and stats on the Futaa Live App, with over 1000 teams, 100+ leagues and the lowest data usage. Download it now at the Google Play store, it’s only 3mb!