Maurizio Sarri feels that Chelsea have to address their goalscoring concerns ahead of their league assignment against Newcastle United.
Chelsea’s failure in front of goal also came against Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup tie and the Magpies visit will test whether they have sharpened their front edge before it is too late.
“We need to solve this problem because also in the last match we played I think very well with continuity and a very good offensive and defensive phase, with a great performance from the physical point of view the best of the season. But we didn't score so now we have this problem. We only have to work and try and solve it as soon as possible, I think.” Sarri told reporters.
All in all, stats points to a likely easy game for Chelsea.
- Chelsea have lost only one of their 23 home Premier League games against Newcastle (W16 D6), a 0-2 defeat in May 2012 under Roberto Di Matteo.
- Newcastle United have lost their last six visits to Stamford Bridge against Chelsea in all competitions, scoring just twice while conceding 18 goals.
- Chelsea have failed to score in their last two Premier League home games. They haven't gone three without a goal in the top flight since November 1993 under Glenn Hoddle.
- Newcastle are winless in 12 away league games against 'big six' sides (D1 L11), losing the last nine in a row.
- Only Liverpool (3) have conceded fewer home goals in the Premier League than Chelsea this season (8).
- Newcastle have scored just four goals in their last eight Premier League games, failing to find the net in three of the last four.
- Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez has won just one of his 14 away matches against Chelsea in all competitions (D4 L9), a 1-0 victory with Liverpool in the Premier League in October 2008.
- Chelsea's Eden Hazard has scored six goals and assisted one in five Premier League appearances at Stamford Bridge against Newcastle.
- Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud has scored more Premier League goals against Newcastle than he has against any other side in the competition (8). However, those eight goals all came in his first six games against them, with the Frenchman failing to score in his last five against the Magpies.
- Salomon Rondon has scored each of Newcastle's last three away goals in the Premier League.