How many Africans played for Barcelona?
Following Kevin Prince Boateng’s rather shocking move to Barcelona on Monday night, Futaa looks at how many other African players the Ghanaian forward joins on the list of Africans who donned the revered Barca jersey.
After the ‘ridiculous’ rumours ran for just a few hours on Monday, Barcelona ended all speculation and questions by announcing the signing of Boateng on a season-long loan from Italian club Sassuolo. The transfer means that the 31-year-old Ghanaian is the first African at Barcelona since Alexandre Song left in 2014.
ON THIS TRANSFER DAY: In 2012, Barcelona signed Alex Song from Arsenal for £15m. He played 65 games for them. pic.twitter.com/bDNArbOmua— Squawka Football (@Squawka) August 20, 2016
But there are several other Africans who’ve once called Catalan home:
- Jorge Alberto Mendonca (Angola) 1966-1969
- Emmanuel Amunike (Nigeria) 1996-2000
- Gbenga Okunowo (Nigeria) 1998-2000
- Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon) 2004-2009
- Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast) 2007-2010
- Seydou Keita (Mali) 2008-2012
- Alexandre Song (Cameroon) 2012-2014.
Barca next takes on Sevilla in a quarterfinal Copa Del Rey clash tomorrow evening.