Man United vs Barcelona: Will Solskjaer repeat the 1999 magic to rescue his Devils?
The Manchester United-Barcelona pairing is the highlight of the Champions League quarter-finals draw.
Man United went against odds to eliminate PSG as they overturned a 2-0 deficit at home to win 3-1 at Parc des Princes. Barca did beat Lyon to make into the quarter-finals and going by previous match stats, the Catalan side have an upper hand against English sides generally.
- This will be the first European meeting between Barcelona and Man Utd since the 2011 Champions League final, which Barcelona won 3-1 at Wembley.
- Manchester United have never won away from home against Barcelona in any European competition (P4 W0 D2 L2), with this their first match there since April 2008, a goalless draw.
- Excluding finals, Manchester United have progressed from both of their European knockout ties with Barcelona, winning 3-2 on aggregate in the 1983-84 Cup Winners' Cup quarter-final and 1-0 on aggregate in the 2007-08 Champions League semi-final.
- Since their elimination to Chelsea in the 2011-12 semi-final, Barcelona have progressed from all four Champions League ties with English opponents, most recently a 4-1 aggregate victory over Chelsea in the Last 16 stage last season.
- Barcelona have won both of their Champions League quarter-finals against English teams, beating Chelsea in 1999-2000 and Arsenal in 2009-10. o Manchester United have won just two of their last 15 European matches against Spanish teams (D6 L7), failing to beat Valencia in both group stage games this season.
- Barcelona have lost just two of their 41 home European matches against English teams (W27 D12 L2) - both against Liverpool (in March 1976 and February 2007).
- Barcelona's Lionel Messi has scored 22 Champions League goals against English clubs; more than any other player in the competition. He has scored twice against Manchester United in the competition.
- This will be Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's first match as a player or manager at the Nou Camp since the 1999 Champions League final, in which he scored the winner in stoppage time.
Read also: Champions League first leg dates