Sarri: Loftus-Cheek can be best in Europe
Ruben Loftus Cheek assisted Olivier Giroud as Chelsea dismantled Dynamo Kyiv in Ukraine and Maurizio Sarri has expressed his satisfaction on the growth of the English midfielder.
That was Loftus-Cheek's first start since January and Sarri added that he has been training well since recovering from the back problem.
“He did very well. He has improved in the last month. He has trained after his back problem and he had a wonderful game. I’m really happy he could play for 90 minutes. His potential as a player is very high. Physically, technically and tactically, he is improving, he can become one of the best midfielders not only in England but in Europe." Sarri told BT Sports.
Facts about Loftus-Cheek:
- Loftus-Cheek’s potential has been clear since his time in Chelsea’s academy where he won two FA Youth Cups and a UEFA Youth League.
- He made his Chelsea debut as in 18-year-old in a Champions League game vs Sporting Lisbon.
- Loftus-Cheek’s first consistent spell of senior football came on loan at Crystal Palace last season, appearing in 25 games, earning place in England’s World Cup squad.
- Since returning to Chelsea, he has impressed under Sarri, playing 28 games in all competitions and scoring six goals so far this season.
- And Sarri believes Loftus-Cheek could go on to become one of Europe’s best midfielders.
More information from Squawka Football.