The Absa Premiership enjoys the reputation of being Africa’s most diverse league that pulls foreign players from every corner of the globe. Futaa looks at this season’s newest faces in Mzansi football.
Though there are still five more days until the PSL’s transfer window deadline on Saturday 31st August, we have very little to no indications that any club will announce more signings this week. With that being said, 10 of the 16 local clubs have signed 24 new footballers whose names are ones we’ve never heard of before.
The league has new players with passports from places such as the Solomon Islands, Suriname, Uruguay, France, and Guinea-Bissau.
Stellenbosch's De Jong.
Here’s the full list by continent:
- Dickson Afoakwa (26) winger, Stellenbosch FC: Ghana
- Joseph Douhaadji (24), central defender, Bidvest Wits: Togo
- Lazarous Kambole (25) forward, Kaizer Chiefs: Zambia
- Jonas Mendes (29) goalkeeper, Black Leopards: Guinea Bissau
- Terance Tisdel (21), winger, Baroka FC: Liberia
- Manuel Kambala (28) midfielder, Baroka FC: Mozambique
- Austin Muwowo (22) forward, Orlando Pirates: Zambia
- Richard Mbulu (25) forward, Baroka FC: Malawi
- Sera Motebang (22) forward, Bloemfontein Celtic: Lesotho
- James Kotei (24) midfielder, Kaizer Chiefs: Ghana
- Keneth Sebastian (22), central defensive, Bidvest Wits: Nigeria
- Elvis Moto (26) left-back, Chippa United: Zimbabwe
- Kelvin Moyo (26) central defender, Chippa United: Zimbabwe
- Clive Augusto (25) center-forward, Maritzburg United: Zimbabwe
- Gabriel Nyoni (26) winger, Maritzburg United: Zimbabwe.
- Mauricio Affonso (27) center-forward, Mamelodi Sundowns: Uruguay
- Boy de Jong (25), goalkeeper, Stellenbosch: Netherlands
- Joris Delle (29) goalkeeper, Orlando Pirates: Netherlands
- Samir Nurkovic (27), striker, Kaizer Chiefs: Serbia.
- Andre de Jong (22), striker, AmaZulu: Australia
- Micah Lea'alafa (28), winger, Maritzburg United: Solomon Islands
- Daniel Morgan (28), left-back, Maritzburg United, Australia
- Kearyn Baccus (27) midfielder, Kaizer Chiefs: Australia
- Bernio Verhagen (25), winger, Cape Town City: Suriname/Netherlands.
Pirates' Augustine Mulenga & Justine Shonga welcome their Zambian countrymen Austin Muwowo and Lazarous Kambole.
The five more days we still have left before the transfer window deadline on 31st August could surprise us with even more interesting names from any corner of the globe. Make sure to follow Futaa for every deal announcement.
Read more: Chiefs coach Middendorp praises Akpeyi