The GOAT enjoyed his greatest ever individual season in the 2011/2012 campaign, despite missing out on the LaLiga and Champions League titles for Barcelona.
Messi’s team disappointed by finishing second to Real Madrid in the league and falling to Chelsea in the semifinals of the Champions League. But Messi was scintillating, winning the Ballon d'Or and the hearts of those who dared to doubt him. Barcelona did win the Copa Del Rey but it was all about Messi's unthinkable goal output.
🔥 Messi in 2011/2012
- 50 goals & 16 assists in LaLiga (a season record for goals)
- 14 goals & 5 assists in the Champions League (a season record for goals)
- 3 goals & 4 assists on the way to winning the Copa Del Rey
- 2 goals & 1 assist in the FIFA Club World Cup
- 3 goals & 2 assists in the Supercopa
- 1 goal & 1 assist in the UEFA Super Cup
- 73 goals & 29 assists in total at club level in the season
🎱 Messi's calendar year of 2012
If we ignored the span of the regular season and looked at Messi's 2012 calendar year for club and country, he produced mind-boggling numbers and came just nine goals short of triple figures.
🤯 A breakdown of Messi's 91 goals in 2012
- 78/91 from inside the penalty area
- Converted 10/10 LaLiga penalties
- Scored exactly twice in 22 matches across all competitions
- Nine hat-tricks
- Tow four-goal hauls in the Champions League
- Champions League record five goals against Bayer Leverkusen
- 40/91 season goals scored in the last 30 minutes of matches
⬇️ Get the latest FC Barcelona Live scores, commentary, results and stats on the Futaa Live App, with over 1000 teams, 100+ leagues and the lowest data usage. Download it now at the Google Play store, it’s only 3mb!