While the Absa Premiership’s 2019/20 transfer window failed to really capture our imaginations, the promotion of youngsters from any team’s academy always fills our hearts with love and excitement. Futaa’s looks at this season’s fresh young things…
Whether at Kaizer Chiefs, Bloemfontein Celtic or Orlando Pirates, many clubs returned from the pre-season break to the training base with new promoted youngsters officially becoming members of the senior team.
Durban’s AmaZulu emerged as the side that have given the most chances to future talent. It is no surprise when one considers Cavin Johnson is the man in charge of Usuthu. The side who play their football at the King Zwelithini Stadium in Umlazi have promoted three players.
Trailing behind AmaZulu with two young players into the PSL are Polokwane City, Golden Arrows and Chippa United.
List of promotions by club:
- Thabiso Monyane
The Buccaneers have a new number 24 who plays his football as a right-back, which is a conversion after the 19-year-old played much of his development as a forward.
- Sizwe Twala. The 22-year-old striker comes into the Amakhosi senior side having become the MultiChoice Diski Challenge’s top goal-scorer in 2018.
- Lesiba Nku, 22 (defender)
- Kenneth Nthatheni, 23 (attacking midfielder).
- Ntuthuko Madela, 21 (left-back)
- Thokozani Ngubane, striker (age unavailable)
- Sibusiso Maluleke, 22 (central defender).
- Thando Khwela, 22 (striker)
- Sifiso Mlungwana, 22 (goalkeeper).
- Gregory Damons, 22 (right back)
- Ronaldo Maarman, 21 (forward).