Samuel Eto'o is one of the greatest African footballers of all time, and the numbers and medals he has amassed over the years back that up.
The baby-faced assassin always produced numbers, year after year, final after final, tournament after tournament.
Eto'o won two Africa Cup of Nations titles in his first two appearances at the tournament. The Cameroon man also won three out of his record four African Player of the Year awards between 2003 and 2006. He took part at six AFCON tournament, scored at each and every one of them, with 18 goals at Africa's showpiece tournament. That’s more than any other player in history.
At club level, Eto'o was also imperious. Let's have a look at his achievements for club and country, as well as the individual awards he won.
🏆 🏆 🏆 Back-to-back trebles
It's not often that players can boast winning trebles in the most competitive leagues around Europe. Look at Manchester United's epic treble success in 1998/1999, or their city rivals' domestic treble success last season. To put that into context, Samuel Eto'o won LaLiga, the UEFA Champions League and the Copa Del Rey in 2008/2009 with Barcelona. That is an amazing achievement in itself. But then he repeated the trick at Inter Milan the following season, winning Serie A, the Coppa Italia and the holy grail of European club football, the UEFA Champions League, again.
🇨🇲 Little Milla’s amazing honours
- 4 African POTY awards
- 118 Cameroon caps
- 56 Cameroon goals
- 3 UEFA Champions League titles
- 6 AFCON appearances
- 18 AFCON goals
- 2 AFCON titles
- 1 Olympic Gold Medal
- 3 LaLiga titles
- 1 Copa Del Rey title
- 1 Supercopa de España title
- 1 Serie A title
- 2 Coppa Italia titles
- 1 Supercoppa Italiana title
- 1 FIFA Club World Cup title
🐐 Special accolades of a GOAT
- First and only African to win the La Liga Golden Boot when he netted 26 times in 34 matches in 2006
- Scored in two separate Champions League finals for Barcelona
- Fourth player in history to win the Champions League in successive years with two different clubs
- The first player to win a European continental trebles
- Debuted for Cameroon in 1996
- The youngest player at the 1998 World Cup, aged 17 years & three months
- Record goal-scorer in Cameroon's history
- The only player to have won four African Player of the Year awards
🏟 Etoo's European résumé
- Real Madrid
- Inter Milan
- Anzhi Makhachkala
- Qatar SC
Samuel Eto'o will go down as one of the most lethal strikers in the history of the game, and there's no doubt that he's an African great. Barcelona's attacking trio of Eto'o, Ronaldinho & one Lionel Messi will be a partnership that we speak about for generations to come.
⬇️ Get the latest Cameroon Live scores, commentary, results and stats on the Futaa Live App, with over 1000 teams, 100+ leagues and the lowest data usage. Download it now at the Google Play store, it’s only 3mb!