FIFA on Wednesday announced the schedule for 2022 Qatar World Cup.
Here is what you need know about FIFA's first winter World Cup that will be played in November/December due to favourable climatic conditions in the Arab nation.
- Four matches will be played each day during the group stage.
- The group games will be played over a 12-day period, with matches not being assigned to particular venues until after the finals draw in March 2022 in order to choose optimal kick-off times to suit television audiences in different countries as well as supporters out in Qatar.
- Kick-off times for the first two rounds of matches will be 1 pm, 4 pm, 7 pm and 10 pm local time (same time as East Africa).
- Kick-off times in the final round of group games and knock-out round matches will be at 6 pm and 10 pm local time.
- For all but three games there will be a three-day rest period in between.
- Lusail Stadium in Doha, the stadium that will host the 2022 World Cup final is yet to be constructed.
- The tournament's opening match will be played at the Al Bayt stadium in Al Khor on Monday, November 21 in a match which will feature the host country.
- The final game will be played on Sunday, December 18, kick-off at 6 pm local time.