Scottish Premiership match cancelled after COVID-19 outbreak
General

Scottish Premiership match cancelled after COVID-19 outbreak

A Scottish Premiership match between Aberdeen and St. Johnstone has been postponed following COVID-19 outbreak at the former.

Aberdeen announced that two of the club’s players tested positive for COVID-19 and six more are self-isolating. They had expressed confidence that the fixture could go on. 

However, Scotland’s Minister for Public Health, the Scottish FA and Scottish Professional Football League on Friday met and decided that it was not safe to go ahead with the fixture.  

Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, who this week ordered a lockdown in Aberdeen after a cluster of COVID-19 cases, said she was furious at the situation.

Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack said on the club’s website he was grateful that the club had not had to forfeit the game, given that “we caused this problem”.

“I took the opportunity yesterday to apologise to both football and health authorities, and with our fellow premiership clubs today,” he said.

 
“Regrettably, what has happened in the last few days has undermined all the hard work that has gone into keeping our players and staff safe. We are now dealing with this internally with the seriousness it deserves.”

The Scottish Premiership kicked off the new season last week, having had last season curtailed by the coronavirus pandemic.

  • Aberdeen - Next Match
  • 26, Sep - 1:00pm
Go to Event