Competition specialists Sevilla will assume the unfamiliar role of underdog in the Europa League but this final is far from a formality for in-form Inter Milan.
🗣 Our Best Bet: Under 2.5 goals
Here's all you need to know ahead of Friday night's showpiece final.
🧩 Sevilla vs Inter key details
- 🗓 21 August 2020
- 🏟 Rhein Energie Stadion
- ⌚️ 22:00 kickoff (EAT)
📝 Sevilla vs Inter match preview
Inter couldn't have wished for better preparation for the final with a 5-0 thumping of Shakhtar Donetsk in the semifinals. It was a big statement of intent from Antonio Conte's well-drilled side, spearheaded by talented strike-duo Lautaro Martinez and Romelu Lukaku.
The Nerazzurri are the clear favourites ahead of kickoff but Sevilla's exemplary Europa League/old UEFA Cup record simply cannot be ignored. The Andalusian team lifted the trophy in 2006, 2007, 2014, 2015 and 2016 and their pedigree at this level is beyond doubt.
Sevilla clinched Champions League qualification by virtue of their LaLiga placing despite a massive player turnover at the start of 2019-20. Amazingly, nine players in their starting XI against Man United in the semifinals were new signings. Add in a sprinkling of experience, especially in the shape of skipper Jesus Navas, and this team is a tough nut to crack. They're unbeaten in their last 20 matches across all competition and defeated Man United after trailing in the semifinals. Inter Milan would be foolish to underestimate the Spanish side.
🔮 Score prediction: Sevilla 1-1 Inter
🧮 Likely starting XIs
🔴 Sevilla (4-3-3):
Bono; Navas, Koundé, Carlos, Reguilón; Fernando, Jordán, Banega; Suso, Ocampos, En-Nesyri
🔵 Inter (3-5-2):
Handanović; Godín, De Vrij, Bastoni; D’Ambrosio, Barella, Brozović, Gagliardini, Young; Lukaku, Martínez
📊 Key betting stats
- A 20-game unbeaten run in all competitions (W11, D9) has guided Sevilla to their sixth UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League final – two more than any other side in history.
- Sevilla veteran Jesus Navas was part of the club's 2006 & 2007 UEFA Cup triumphs.
- Sevilla has kept a clean sheet in nine of their 13 competitive matches since the footballing restart – more than any other team in Europe’s top five leagues.
- Inter hitman Romelu Lukaku has scored in a record ten consecutive Europa League matches, with 14 total strikes in that sequence.
- Lukaku has scored 33 goals this season across all comps; one more goal and he'll match the best-ever tally by an Inter player in their debut season (Ronaldo in 1998).
- It’s been nine seasons since Inter last picked up a competitive trophy, but their 5-0 win over Shakhtar in the semifinal – the biggest-ever win margin at that stage of the tournament – makes them favourites.
- Inter’s defence has excelled of late, conceding just one goal across their last seven matches (W6, D1).
- STAT: Inter’s tally of 25 headed goals in all competitions this season is more than any other team in Europe’s top five leagues.
📲 Follow Sevilla vs Inter live on Futaa