West Ham and Newcastle begin their 2020/21 Premier League campaigns when they meet at London Stadium on Saturday night.
Both teams finished last season in the bottom half of the division and will be looking to kick off the 2020-21 campaign in winning style.
🧩 West Ham vs Newcastle United key details
- 🗓 12 September 2020
- 🏟 London Stadium
- ⌚️ 22:00 kickoff (EAT)
🏟 Match Context
The Hammers were on a roll towards the end of the last season, and especially their striker Michail Antonio.
They were scoring goals left and right, and their impressive final stretch to the campaign even included incredible performances against some of the best teams in the league – like Chelsea and Manchester United.
Meanwhile, their counterparts were simply terrible in the final phase of 2019-20. If not for the points they had earlier accrued, the team would have been right in the middle of a relegation dogfight.
Going on, either team have taken part in friendly games as preparation for this new season, and even there, the Magpies were close to a total failure, whereas their opposite number continued their impressive performances.
🔢 Predicted XIs
West Ham: Fabianski; Fredericks, Diop, Ogbonna, Cresswell; Rice, Noble; Fornals, Bowen, Yarmolenko; Antonio.
Newcastle: Darlow; Manquillo, Lascelles, Fernandez, Lewis; Hayden, Sean Longstaff; Hendrick, Almiron, Saint-Maximin; Wilson.
🤝 126 PL games— Football on BT Sport (@btsportfootball) September 7, 2020
⚽️ 41 PL goals
Callum Wilson is Newcastle United's new number 9️⃣! ⚫️⚪️ pic.twitter.com/JBVmshGXbs
🔑 Key stats
- West Ham have scored two or more goals in each of their last five Premier League games against Newcastle United.
- Newcastle United have won nine Premier League away games against West Ham United.
- Newcastle United have lost 11 Premier League games on match day one, only opponents West Ham United have lost more such matches in the competition’s history (13).
- West Ham have lost their opening league match of the season in the last four seasons, shipping at least four goals in each of the last three. The last top-flight team to lose their opening league match in five consecutive seasons was Wimbledon between 1986-87 and 1990-91.
- Newcastle have lost their first league match of the season in six of the last seven campaigns, drawing the other. Their last opening day win was back in 2012-13, when they beat Spurs at St. James’ Park.
- Newcastle have lost 79 away Premier League matches in London, more than any other side, while manager Steve Bruce has won just 17% of his away games in the capital in the top-flight (P59 W10 D14 L35).
✅ Futaa tip
- Back BTTS
- Back over 2.5 match goals
🌕 Futaa Moonshot
- Back over 1.5 Newcastle goals
📲 Follow West Ham vs Newcastle United live on Futaa!