Paris Saint-Germain will resume their Ligue 1 2020-21 campaign with a blockbuster fixture as they take on Marseille at the Parc des Princes tonight.
Le Classique has lost a bit of its unpredictability in recent seasons, with Paris Saint-Germain dominating the fixture, but the competitive spirit remains.
PSG suffered a shock 1-0 defeat to Lens in their first game of the season, whereas Marseille marked their return to action with a 3-2 win over Brest.
The runners up from last season, by default, Olympique de Marseille have already begun their journey in the 2020/21 recording a 3-2 win against Stade Brestois 29 courtesy of a brace of goals from central defender Duje Caleta-Car and a brace of assists from Florian Thauvin.
Their opening day fixture against Saint-Etienne was canceled pertaining to an outbreak of COVID-19 within the opposition squad.
The last meeting between these two sides came in the French capital as Thomas Tuchel & co. registered a 4-0 win.
Mauro Icardi and Kylian Mbappe were on target twice each in the first half itself, while Angel Di Maria recorded two assists in the process.
Team news & predicted lineups
Owing to a number of COVID-19 cases, PSG will have to make do without Kylian Mbappe, Mauro Icardi, and Marquinhos once again.
Neymar, Angel Di Maria, Keylor Navas, and Leandro Paredes are in contention to feature this weekend having recovered, but the quartet are not expected to be thrown back into the starting XI straight away.
Probable Lineup (4-3-3): Rico; Kurwaza, Kehrer, Kimpembe, Bernat; Herrera, Gueye, Veratti; Sarabia, Kalimuendo, Ruiz-Atil
As far as Marseille are concerned, the visitors have a relatively clean bill of health ahead of Le Classique, with the only confirmed absentee being Bouna Sarr.
Villas-Boas revealed that Morgan Sanson was forced to miss training on Friday with a minor injury, but the midfielder should be fine for Sunday's showdown.
Duje Caleta-Car, who bagged a brace in Marseille's victory over Brest, is set to be partnered in defense by either Leonardo Balerdi or Alvaro Gonzalez.
Probable Lineup (4-3-3): Mandanda; Sakai, Gonzalez, Ćaleta-Car, Amavi; Rongier, Kamara, Sanson; Thauvin, Benedetto, Payet
- Thomas Tuchel and Andre-Villas Boas have only come face-to-face once before, which is not surprising given both their short-term careers. In that game, Tuchel came on top as the victor.
- Paris Saint-Germain and Olympique de Marseille have faced each other 35 times in the past. PSG have won 20 of these games, with Marseille winning just eight (D7).
- Marseille have not won against the side from the French capital in the last 16 matches in Ligue 1, out of which just two have been draws (L14).
- The last time Marseille won against PSG was back in November 2011, as they recorded a 2-1 win.
- Marseille have failed to record a clean sheet against PSG in the last seven games. The last time they managed to do so was in October 2016, when the game ended goalless.
📲 Follow PSG vs Marseille live on Futaa!