The world’s greatest football club competition is almost back after Bayern Munich beat Paris Saint Germain to lift a sixth title last month.
We are just a couple of days from getting the full layout for the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League season. When is the draw? How is the seeding? When are the key games?
WHEN AND WHERE?
- The group stage draw for 2020/21 will be on Thursday 1 October in Nyon from 4.00 pm. UK time (5.00 pm. CET)
HOW WILL THE POTS WORK?
- The champions of the top six associations, according to the 2019/20 coefficients, are in pot one together with the holders of the Champions League and Europa League.
- Seedings for remaining teams are determined by current club coefficients.
- The 26 teams given direct entry to the group stage are joined by the six winners of the play-off ties.
- Pot 1: Bayern Munich (UEFA Champions League holders), Sevilla (UEFA Europa League holders), Real Madrid, Liverpool, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Zenit St Petersburg, FC Porto
- Pot 2: Barcelona, Atlético Madrid, Manchester City, Manchester United, Shakhtar Donetsk, Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, Ajax
- Pot 3 or 4: RB Leipzig, Inter Milan, Lazio, Atalanta, Lokomotiv Moscow, Marseille, Club Brugge, Borussia Mönchengladbach, İstanbul Başakşehi, Rennes
- Six further teams will qualify via the play-offs to be completed on Wednesday 30 September.
WHAT ARE THE REGIONAL RULES?
- No team can play a club from their own association and, based on decisions taken by the UEFA Executive Committee, clubs from Russia and Ukraine must not be drawn in the same group.
WHERE CAN YOU WATCH THE DRAW?
- The draw will be livestreamed on Uefa.com at 4:45pm.
- Matchday 1: 20/21 October
- Matchday 2: 27/28 October
- Matchday 3: 3/4 November
- Matchday 4: 24/25 November
- Matchday 5: 1/2 December
- Matchday 6: 8/9 December
- Round of 16 draw: 14 December, Nyon
- Round of 16, first leg: 16/17/23/24 February
- Round of 16, second leg: 9/10/16/17 March
- Quarter-final and semi-final draws: 19 March, Nyon
- Quarter-finals, first leg: 6/7 April
- Quarter-finals, second leg: 13/14 April
- Semi-finals, first leg: 27/28 April
- Semi-finals, second leg: 4/5 May
- Saturday 29 May, Final: – Atatürk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul, Turkey.