Chelsea's 4-0 win over Crystal Palace just before the international break puts them in position to consolidate it with another three points against Southampton.
Here's all you need to know ahead of Saturday's kickoff in the capital so that you can make some well-informed picks.
🧩 Chelsea vs Southampton key details
- 🗓 17 October 2020
- 🏟 Stamford Bridge
- ⌚️ 16:00 kickoff (EAT)
🖊 Match preview
The Saints rectified a terrible defensive display against Tottenham, where they lost 5-2 at St Mary's, to win consecutive matches with clean sheets against West Brom and Burnley. Those six points leave them just one point behind Chelsea ahead of kickoff here.
Quite what Chelsea boss Frank Lampard does about the goalkeeping situation is anybody's guess. New signing Eduoard Mendy is injured which leaves Lampard with a choice between veteran 38-year-old Willy Caballero or under-fire and error-prone Kepa Arrizabalaga. The manager will also be sweating over the fitness of left-back Ben Chilwell, who bagged a goal and assist in his full Chelsea debut against Crystal Palace.
Southampton's overall record against the Blues remains poor, though, with Chelsea winning seven of their last nine top-flight clashes with the Saints. Ralph Hasenhüttl's visitors will hope to spoil the party by drawing on their win at Stamford Bridge last season but they'll need to be wary of Kai Havertz and Timo Werner, the German attacking duo that excelled in recent UEFA Nations League action.
Southampton's decent record last season away from home against the top five means that this is far from a formality.
🧮 Likely starting XIs
🔵 Chelsea (4-2-3-1):
Kepa; Azpilicueta, Silva, Zouma, Chilwell; Jorginho, Kovačić; Mount, Havertz, Pulisic; Werner
🔴 Southampton (4-4-2):
McCarthy; Walker-Peters, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand; Walcott, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Redmond; Ings, Adams
🔑 Key betting facts
- Chelsea has scored at least twice in five of their last six Premier League matches.
- Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side have won eight of their last 13 away Premier League games in a run that started on 21 December
- Southampton striker Danny Ings has scored three of Southampton's five EPL goals this season.
- The Saints lost just two of their five EPL away matches vs sides who finished in the top five last season (W2, D1, L2).
- Curiously, the away side on the day has won three and lost none of the last four head to heads between these sides.
- Southampton has kept clean sheets in their last two Premier League visits to Stamford Bridge.
- Southampton's win here last season was their only triumph against Chelsea in ten meetings across all competitions.
🌑 Futaa tip: Over 2.5 goals