The defending European champions get their title defence underway in a tricky-looking fixture against Diego Simeone's Atlético Madrid
We've got a quick preview as well as all of the relevant betting facts & figures so that you can make well-informed picks.
Atlético Madrid has already produced two 0-0 draws in LaLiga this season and kept three clean sheets in four matches. Bayern will therefore need to be at their very best to break down Diego Simeone's men in a match that looks like the toughest of the group for Hansi Flick's team.
In the Bundesliga, five of Bayern's wins in 2020-21 have gone over the 2.5 goals mark ut they may need to be a little more patient here against a resolute defensive outfit. Bayern may have been beaten 4-1 by Hoffenheim last month but they bounced back with four victories across all competitions; all four games bringing at least three goals scored.
Defensive duo José Giménez & Sime Vrasaljko are out for the visitors. With Thomas Partey having left for Arsenal and midfield dynamo Saúl Ñíguez not fit for the trip, Simeone's side looks a little light in the centre of the park. Loanee signing Lucas Torreira will be thrust into the thick of the action as a result and he will have his work cut out against Josh Kimmich and Leon Goretzka.
Watch out for Uruguayan legend Luis Suárez, making his Champions League debut for the Rojiblancos.
🔮 Likely starting XIs
🇩🇪 Bayern (4-2-3-1):
Neuer; Pavard, Sule, Alaba, Hernández; Kimmich, Goretzka; Costa, Muller, Coman; Lewandowski
🇪🇸 Atlético (4-4-2):
Oblak; Trippier, Savić, Felipe, Lodi; Correa, Torreira, Koke, Carrasco; Félix, Suárez
🔑 Key facts
- João Félix scored three UCL goals last term, including two penalties and two decisive match openers.
- Exactly half (12) out of 24 UEFA Champions League groups across the last three completed UCL seasons have seen both teams drawn from the top two pots progress to the Round of 16.
- Bayern's average in the Bundesliga this season is 19 shots per game and they've scored a total of 17 goals after just four fixtures.
- Atlético's last three LaLiga matches have all featured under 2.5 goals, while two of them were goalless draws.
- Six of Atletico's last eight UCL matches have featured under 2.5 goals.
- Bayern has won 11 games in a row at home and 11 games in a row in the Champions League.
🪐 Futaa tips
📲 Follow Bayern vs Atlético live