This will be an intriguing tactical battle at Bramall Lane on Saturday, as Pep Guardiola’s boys aim to pick up points in a worrying league start.
The Cityzens have another tough test in the shape of a poor-start-of-the season Sheffield United, but we back them to grab the three points
Although they have two for two in the Champions League, Pep Guardiola’s men have taken just eight points from their opening five Premier League games so far, most recently being held to a 1-1 draw with West Ham United.
Since their 5-2 humiliation at home to Leicester, City have tightened up their defense, conceding just two goals in their last three league games, but, ironically, they have suffered in the final third as a result, scoring just three times during that period.
But no side has suffered more offensively than Sheffield United this season, with the Blades netting just three goals in six games so far, taking just one point along the way. As a result, Chris Wilder’s men sit 19th in the table, looking stripped of confidence despite coming in off a brilliant first campaign back in the top flight in 2019/20.
🔮 Likely starting XIs
Sheffield United possible starting lineup:
Ramsdale; Basham, Egan, Stevens; Baldock, Norwood, Ampadu, Berge, Osborn; Brewster, McBurnie
Manchester City possible starting lineup:
Ederson; Walker, Dias, Laporte, Cancelo; Gundogan, Rodri, De Bruyne; Foden, Sterling, Mahrez
🔑 Key facts
- Sheffield United are winless in their last six league meetings with Man City (D2 L4), failing to score in any of the last four.
- Manchester City are looking to win four consecutive league games against Sheffield United for the first time since March 1930.
- Sheffield United have never beaten Man City in the Premier League in eight attempts (D3 L5), the most they’ve faced any side in the competition without a victory.
- Sheffield United are winless in their last nine Premier League games (D1 L8), the longest ongoing run among all current sides in the competition.
- Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez has been directly involved in 99 goals in 203 Premier League appearances (58 goals, 41 assists); his next goal or assist would see him become the 6th African player to reach the century milestone after Didier Drogba, Yakubu, Emmanuel Adebayor, Sadio Mané and Mohamed Salah.
- Among the 17 ever-present Premier League sides since the start of last season, Sheffield United have had the fewest shots (409) and fewest shots on target (131), while only Crystal Palace (39) have scored fewer goals than the Blades in the competition (42).
- Manchester City are unbeaten in their last three Premier League games (W1 D2), although they’ve bagged just one goal in each match.
- No side has won more English top-flight matches on Halloween (October 31st) than Manchester City (W10 D0 L3), level with Arsenal.
- Manchester City have won just eight points from their first five Premier League games this season, and it’s Pep Guardiola’s worst start at this stage of the season in his managerial career.
- Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder has won 99 of his 202 games in charge of the club in all competitions, although he’s been stuck on 99 wins for the last 10 matches (D2 L8), since beating Chelsea 3-0 in July.
📲 Follow Sheffield United vs Manchester City live on Futaa!