Manchester United face a trip to take on Turkish champions Istanbul Basaksehir tonight, as the UEFA Champions League group stage reaches its halfway point.
Here's our match preview:
🗞 Match Preview
Both sides have made a slow start to the season, as far as domestic football is concerned.
While Istanbul Basaksehir are currently seventh on the Turkish Super Lig table after winning just three of their opening seven games, Manchester United are languishing at 15th in the Premier League standings, having managed just two wins in six matches thus far.
As far as the Champions League is concerned, Manchester United have fared much better, kicking off their European journey with a shock win over PSG before trouncing RB Leipzig 5-0 last week. Istanbul Basaksehir, though, are rock-bottom in Group H after losing each of their first two games.
Today’s fixture will see Istanbul Basaksehir and Manchester United face off against each other for the very first time.
🔮 Basaksehir vs Man United: Predicted XIs
Istanbul Basaksehir (4-3-3): Gunok; Rafael, Skrtel, Epureanu, Bolingoli; Kahveci, Mehmet Topal, Ozcan; Turuc, Ba, Visca
Man United (4-2-3-1): de Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Tuanzebe, Maguire, Shaw; Matic, van de Beek; Greenwood, Bruno Fernandes, Rashford; Martial
🔑 Key facts & figures
- This will be the first meeting between İstanbul Başakşehir and Manchester United in any European competition.
- Istanbul Başakşehir’s only previous experience against English opponents in the qualifying phase of the 2018/19 UEFA Europa League, losing 1-0 on aggregate to Sean Dyche’s Burnley.
- Manchester United have lost each of their last two away games against Turkish opponents in European competition – 0-1 v Galatasaray in November 2012 and 1-2 v Fenerbahçe in November 2016.
- Istanbul Başakşehir have lost their opening two UEFA Champions League matches without scoring – only one Turkish side has lost their first three games in the competition, with Bursaspor doing so in 2010/11.
- Manchester United are looking to win their first three matches in a UEFA Champions League group stage for a ninth time – no team has ever failed to qualify after winning their first three games in a group stage.
- Istanbul Başakşehir are one of three teams yet to score in the UEFA Champions League, along with FC Midtjylland and Marseille. However, the Turkish side have had more shots than either of those two sides (23) and only five fewer than opponents Man Utd (28), who have scored seven times.
- Only Olympiakos (29y 316d) have named an older average starting XI than Istanbul Başakşehir in this season’s UEFA Champions League (29y 310d). Their XI’s in both games has featured at least six players aged 30 or older.
- Manchester United have scored seven goals in their first two UEFA Champions matches this season, as many as they had in their previous nine games in the competition. They have found the net with 25% of their efforts at goal (7/28), compared to just 9% in their last campaign in the competition (10/116).
- Against RB Leipzig, Man United striker Marcus Rashford became only the fifth player in UEFA Champions League history to score a hat-trick as a substitute. All nine of Rashford’s goals in the competition have come in the second half, the most of any player without scoring in the first half or extra-time.
- Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood has six goals in major UEFA European competition as a teenager (5 Europa League, 1 Champions League), the joint-most of any English teenager along with his teammate Marcus Rashford. He is also looking to become the third Englishman to score in his first two starts in the Champions League, after Rashford in 2017 and Daniel Sturridge in 2010.
🪐 Futaa bets
🪐 Follow Basaksehir vs Man United live on Futaa!