Chelsea have the chance to temporarily move top of the Premier League table when they take on Newcastle United at St James' Park on Saturday as they wait on Leicester City to face Liverpool on Sunday.
Here is our full match preview:
🗞 Match preview
Steve Bruce's men have had a bitter-sweet season.
They have won and lost three each of their eight league outings so far (D2). The Magpies are now 13th on the log and they come into this match after having suffered a 2-0 defeat to Southampton before the break.
The Blues, on the other hand, have recovered strongly from their early-season jitters, putting together an eight-game unbeaten run in all competitions, winning their last four on the bounce.
Following their 4-1 win over Sheffield United, the Blues are fifth in the standings, three points off of leaders Leicester City and a win on Saturday would see them move to the top, although it might be temporary.
🥊 Newcastle United vs Chelsea Team News
Here is how we think the teams might lineup:
⚫ The Magpies
Newcastle remain without goalkeeper Martin Dubravka and left-back Matt Ritchie due to long-term injuries, but winger Ryan Fraser is almost ready to return from a thigh injury. He could well take a place on the bench for Saturday’s game.
Injured: Martin Dubravka, Matt Ritchie
Doubtful: Ryan Fraser
Probable Lineup (5-3-2): Darlow; Murphy, Schar, Lascelles, Fernandez, Lewis; Hendrick, Hayden, Longstaff; Joelinton, Saint-Maximin
🔵 The Blues
Chelsea are likely to be missing a couple of key players for this encounter. Both Ben Chilwell and Christian Pulisic were unable to play for their international sides with injuries this week. Pulisic is unlikely to be available for this game, but Chilwell may still be involved.
Kai Havertz, meanwhile, is sweating on a COVID-19 test in order to play a part. If he tests negative for the virus then he may be able to start Saturday’s game.
Injured: Christian Pulisic, Billy Gilmour
Doubtful: Kai Havertz
Probable Lineup (4-3-3): Mendy; James, Zouma, Rudiger, Chilwell; Kante, Jorginho, Mount; Ziyech, Abraham, Werner
🔑 Key betting stats
- Chelsea have won five of their last seven Premier League meetings with Newcastle United (L2). However, the Blues have managed to keep just one clean sheet during this run.
- Newcastle United have lost just one of their last seven Premier League home games against Chelsea (W5 D1). Steve Bruce’s side won this exact fixture last season 1-0.
- Chelsea are unbeaten in their last six Premier League games (W3 D3). Only Tottenham are on a longer such run in the competition (7).
- Newcastle United have won two of their last three Premier League home matches (L1), as many as they had in their previous 11 (W2 D4 L5).
- Chelsea are the highest scorers in the Premier League so far this season, with 20 goals.
🪐 Futaa Bets
🔮 Score prediction: Newcastle 1-2 Chelsea
📲 Follow Newcastle vs Chelsea live Futaa!