It's crunch time in South America's premier club competition with River Plate aiming to overturn a daunting 3-0 first-leg semifinal deficit against Palmeiras.
Here's all you need to know in order to make well-informed picks on this crunch South American clash with betPawa.
📄 Match preview
Palmeiras made a giant stride towards a second Copa Libertadores title after beating River Plate 3-0 in the semifinal 1st leg and they can and they can also boast a run of four wins ‘to nil’ across all competitions coming into this clash.
Abel Ferreira's Palmeiras outfit didn't go into their shells after scoring a 27th-minute goal in the 1st leg, instead, they committed bodied forward and got their rewards. River enjoyed a staggering 70% of the ball possession despite being a man light for the last half an hour, but Palmeiras showed that it's not how much of the ball you have, but how you use it.
River, who were thoroughly outplayed and outpaced, will have to pull off a miracle at Allianz Parque if they want to turn this around and deny Palmeiras their first Copa Libertadores final appearance in just over two decades.
With the showpiece occasion set for January 30th, Marcelo Gallego's River will have to score at least three goals in São Paulo if they are to haul themselves back into contention.
🔮 Predicted XIs
🇧🇷 Palmeiras (3-4-3):
Weverton; Rocha, Gómez, Empereur; Menino, de Paula, Danilo, Vina; Rony, Scarpa, Adriano
🇦🇷 River Plate (4-1-3-2):
Armani; Montiel, Pinola, Díaz, Casco; Pérez, Fernández, Zuculini, De La Cruz; Borre, Suárez
🔑 Key betting stats
- Palmeiras has at halftime for seven consecutive Copa Libertadores matches.
- Six of those seven matches saw the ten-time Brazilian champions secure a 2+ goal winning margin.
- Palmeiras has lost just one of their last 12 games in all competitions.
- Palmeiras is unbeaten in their last nine tournament home games against Argentinian clubs (W6, D3), a run that saw them secure six clean sheets.
- The hosts are incredibly strong at home, possessing a five-game winning run here in this tournament - all of which they won despite a -2 handicap.
- Palmeiras has scored 2+ goals in six of their last nine Copa Libertadores home matches vs Argentinian opposition.
- River Plate is winless in their last three matches.
- River does, however, bring a ten-game unbeaten away run in all competitions into this clash (W6, D4), which includes two wins in this tournament by a 4+ goal margin.
💰 Futaa value bet
🔮 PREDICTION: Palmeiras 2-1 River
📲 Follow Palmeiras vs River live