Chelsea survive Sheffield United scare to book FA Cup semi-final slot

Chelsea survive Sheffield United scare to book FA Cup semi-final slot

Chelsea survived a late Sheffield United scare to book a slot in the FA Cup semi-final courtesy of a 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge on Sunday afternoon. 

Oliver Norwood's 24th-minute own goal and a late Hakim Ziyech striker made the difference, as the Blues joined Manchester City and Southampton in the last four. 

Thomas Tuchel made nine changes to the side that played Atletico Madrid in midweek, with Billy Gilmour getting his first minutes under the German coach.

Kurt Zouma and Mateo Kovacic were the only two who kept their places from Wednesday’s win, the Croatian making his 100th start in blue.

The Blues were in control from the first whistle but failed to create many clear-cut chances as the Blades held on. 

The visitors got the first chance in the 10th minute after Norwood floated a corner into the near post where it was flicked onto the head of Jagielka, but he was unable to make firm contact on the header, which looped into the arms of Kepa.

Chelsea's first real chance at goal was in the 24th minute after Chilwell pounced on a loose ball just outside the box and fired a cross-shot back into the box and it looked to be veering wide until the outstretched leg of Norwood turned it into the net. 

The Blues came close to scoring twice before the break, but their efforts were thwarted time and again. 

The second half was a balanced battle, with Sheffield arguably the better side as they created a number of chances. 

The best chance fell to McGoldrick in the 67th minute, but he could not score despite Lundstram's deflected cross falling gloriously six yards out. His header went inches wide when it was easier to score than miss. 

The Blades fancied their chances and came close twice, but the Blues stood firm, aided by a number of changes as Tuchel decided to add more steel. 

Hakim Ziyech, who was on the scoresheet in midweek was among the substitutes, and he scored with virtually the last kick of the game to send the Blues through.