Chelsea's quest for domestic cup glory begins on Wednesday night when they host Aston Villa in an EFL Cup match at Stamford Bridge.
Ahead of the clash at the Bridge, here is all you need to know.
Chelsea vs Aston Villa head to head
- The last 13 league and cup games between the two sides at Stamford Bridge has produced 56 goals. (Chelsea 42, Aston Villa 14)
- Aston Villa have not kept a clean sheet at the Bridge since March 1998, a run of 23 games
- Chelsea and Aston Villa are drawn against each otehr in the league cup for the fith time, withe the most recent during the 2006/07 season
Chelsea in numbers
- The last team to defeat the Blues at the third round stage was Newcastle in 2010/11 when they beat them 4-3 at Stamford Bridge.
- Shola Ameobi scored a stoppage-time winner after Nicolas Anelka had equalised from the spot three minutes earlier.
- The only other occasions Chelsea have been knocked out in the third round since the turn of the century were against Charlton at home on penalties in 2005/06 and Liverpool at Anfield in 2000/01.
Aston Villa stats
- Dean Smith’s side are unbeaten on the road in the League Cup since August 2018 when they lost at Burton. They have won five and drawn one since then scoring 22 goals in the process.
- Aston Villa have won three, lost two and drawn one in all competitions this term.
- They beat unbeaten Everton 3-0 at Villa Park at the weekend.
Last six seasons in the League Cup (Aston Villa)
- 2015/16 - Lost away to Southampton in the fourth round
- 2016/17 - Lost away to Luton in the first round
- 2017/18 - Lost at home to Middlesbrough in the third round
- 2018/19 - Lost away to Burton in the second round
- 2019/20 - Lost to Man City in the final at Wembley
- 2020/21 - Lost at home to Stoke in the fourth round