Harambee Stars left-back Abud Omar has blamed captain Victor Wanyama on how the AFCON bonus was to be paid.
Each Stars player was entitled to KES 250000 for each win the competition held in Egypt last June with the team having won a game against Tanzania in the competition.
According to Abud in an interview with Madgoat Tv on Monday, the decision at how they were going to be awarded was reached by Wanyama and the federation something he felt could have been done better if the entire team was involved.
“The federation said they had talked with the captain after they had received the KES 250Million (from the government. Victor (Wanyama) had made a decision on our behalf and according to me, it wasn’t the best of ways of doing things. I told him it wasn’t a good move since I felt they could have asked for our opinion on the same,” Abud said.
The defender further stated that a total of KES 1M had been set aside to reward the players who had helped the team through the qualification process but didn’t make the AFCON squad but the same wasn’t paid.
“Apart from the AFCON bonuses, there was some money set aside for players who had helped the team during qualification. Players like Atudo (Joakins) who didn't play so many games in the process but they helped the team. They were promised some money but they didn't get any.
“The president (Nick Mwendwa) said we were going to be given the money but we didn’t get it too,” Abud added.
The defender who has been out of action for some time further stated that he was in talks with some clubs and was confident of landing a deal once the coronavirus pandemic comes to an end.