Basel's solid defensive record leading up to the quarterfinals gives us reason to believe that their quarterfinal tie with Shakhtar will be a tightly-contested affair.
Here's how we see it with a brief match preview and some key betting insights.
Basel has won an amazing five consecutive Europa League matches without conceding a single goal in that winning sequence but they come up against a Shakhtar outfit that has scored 10 goals in their last four matches and this represents a step-up in the calibre of opponents for the Swiss. Rustiness might be an issue for Shakhtar who has only played one competitive game since July 19th. That being said, they did collect four points from trips to Man City & Atalanta when they were still in the Champions League group stages and that should mean that they have the pedigree to get the job done and advance to the Europa League semifinals.
🧩 Shakhtar vs Basel key details
- 🗓 11 August 2020
- 🏟 Veltins-Arena
- ⌚️ 22:00 kickoff (EAT)
🧮 Likely starting XIs
🟠 Shakhtar (4-2-3-1):
Pyatov; Dodô, Krivtsov, Matvkenyo, Bolbat; Antonio, Stepanenko; Marlos, Patrick, Taison; Moraes
🔵 Basel (4-2-3-1):
Nikolic; Widmer, Werff, Alderete, Petretta; Xhaka, Frei; Stocker, Campo, Pululu; Cabral
🔑 Key betting facts
- Basel will have revenge on their mind after losing 2-1 at home and 5-0 away the last time they met Shakhtar in the group stage of the 2008-09 Champions League.
- Basel has drawn four of their last six competitive games (W2, D4), but a 1-0 victory over Frankfurt saw them progress into this quarter-final.
- None of Basel's last six matches in the Europa League has seen goals at both ends.
- Basel is winless in three head to heads with Shakhtar.
- Shakhtar is unbeaten in eight of 11 prior head to heads against Swiss opposition (W7, D1, L3).
- Júnior Moraes has scored five of Shakhtar’s 18 European goals this season, including the opener in their last two European games.
- Fabian Frei has scored in five European matches for Basel this term, three of which ended in a 1-0 victory for the Swiss outfit.
🔮 Futaa Bets: Shakhtar win & over 3.5 goals