Real Madrid has made a steady yet unspectacular start to the LaLiga season although they will hope that a surprise defeat to newly-promoted Cadiz last time out is merely a blip.
We've got a quick preview as well as all of the relevant betting facts & figures so that you can make well-informed picks.
Zinedine Zidane's team was outplayed by Cadiz at the weekend but there's no need to panic, seeing as though rivals Sevilla and Barcelona both lost. Los Blancos supporters will demand a response in Europe though and a win against Shakhtar will be both required and expected. Longer-term, a strong run to the Champions League knockouts is always mandatory at Real Madrid. But first things first.
Aside from a 3-2 away win at Real Betis, every Real Madrid match this season has seen a maximum of two goals scored, with three of their five games seeing one or less. Although Shakhtar is an attacking outfit at home, they struggle for goals on the road and it's difficult to see them posing much of a threat in Madrid.
🔮 Likely starting XIs
⚪️ Real Madrid (4-3-3):
Courtois; Nacho, Militao, Varane, Mendy; Casemiro, Valverde, Kroos; Asensio, Benzema, Vinicius
🟠 Shakhtar (4-2-3-1):
Trubin; Dodo, Khocholava, Bondar, Korniienko; Maycon, Patrick; Marlos, Kovalenko, Taison; Dentinho
🔑 Key facts
- Real Madrid's last four UCL matches all saw both teams score.
- However, Shakhtar's last 12 UCL away defeats saw them fail to find the net.
- Before their defeat to Cadiz at the weekend, Madrid went on an eight-game winning run that featured six clean sheets and four goalless first halves.
- Nine of the last 16 UCL home goals Madrid have conceded (56.25%) came after the 60th minute.
- 13-time Ukrainian champions Shakhtar have won just one of their last seven UCL fixtures (W1, D4, L2).
- Vinícius Júnior has netted the opener in the last four games in which he’s found the net - all four ended in a Madrid win ‘to nil’.
🪐 Futaa tip
📲 Follow Real Madrid vs Shakhtar live