Borussia Dortmund host Schalke 04 in the 2020-21 Bundesliga today in the 157th meeting of the Revierderby.
The two Ruhr-based arch-rivals could hardly be in more contrasting form at the moment, with Dortmund third on nine points after four games and Schalke just one place off the bottom on a solitary point.
Both sides come into this game with contrasting form, with Dortmund, in particular, desperate to bounce back to winning ways after being the only German side to lose in the European competitions in midweek.
The Black and Yellows did, however, secure victories in their last two Bundesliga matches and a win this weekend could help them put pressure on RB Leipzig and Bayern Munich, at the top of the league table.
Schalke, on the other hand, have been one of the worst-performing sides in the Bundesliga this season. They have collected only one point in their opening four league matches and are one of four sides yet to register a single victory so far this campaign, with only Mainz having a worse record.
That said, past records or recent form have barely mattered when these two teams have been pitted against each other. It is, in fact, Schalke who have more to play for, knowing that a victory this weekend could give them the ideal boost they need to kickstart their recovery following a disastrous start to the campaign.
🔮 Likely starting XIs
BvB (3-4-3): Burki; Piszczek, Hummels, Akanji; Meunier, Witsel, Brandt, Guerreiro; Sancho, Reyna; Haaland.
Schalke 04 (4-2-3-1): Ronnow; Ludewig, Sane, Nastasic, Oczipka; Mascarell, Bentaleb; Skrzybski, Harit, Raman; Paciencia
🔑 Key facts
- Mats Hummels is unbeaten in his last 11 encounters with Schalke for both Dortmund and Bayern, winning eight and drawing three.
- Haaland has 22 goals in 25 competitive outings for BVB, and 17 in 19 games in the Bundesliga.
- Reus has only scored once in nine derby outings against the Royal Blues, back in February 2015.
- Schalke’s Benjamin Stambouli has not tasted defeat in any of the six Revierderbies he has played in, winning two and drawing four.
- On Matchday 26 last season (16 May 2020), Schalke became the first team in Bundesliga history to make five substitutions in one game thanks to the rule change as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Their latest encounter ended in a 4-0 win for BVB at home.
- The hosts have scored a total of 16 goals from the last six encounters at this stadium.
- Since 2012, only once have the guests won away at BvB.
📲 Follow BvB vs Schalke 04 live on Futaa!