Former Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Nabil Bentaleb have been told to train alone by his club Schalke.
The 26-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at Newcastle but the club didn’t sign him permanently with reports emerging that the club was worried about his discipline.
Bentaleb had previously been out of favour at Schalke because of disciplinary issues but the Algeria international returned to the first-team set-up last summer and has since made eight appearances for the club who are at the bottom of the log this season; the club confirming that they will let him go in the summer.
In a statement on Schalke’s website, Jochen Schneider, the club's sporting director said: “He is undisputedly an excellent footballer. There are no two opinions.
"However, we have to realize that Schalke and Nabil Bentaleb obviously don't go together. There wasn't that one moment. It was a process. They will part ways by the summer of 2021 at the latest."
Bentaleb came on in the 2-0 defeat against Wolfsburg on Saturday but he and team-mate Amine Hart will now train away from the first team while striker Vedad Ibisevic's contract will be terminated at the end of the year.
ℹ️ Nabil Bentaleb and Amine Harit will train individually until further notice.
— FC Schalke 04 (@s04_en) November 24, 2020