Harambee Stars held by Uganda in Kasarani

Harambee Stars held by Uganda in Kasarani

Kenya's Harambee Stars was held to a 1-1 draw by neighbors Uganda Cranes in a  friendly clash held at the MISC Kasarani on Sunday 8 September. 

Uganda Cranes were to take the lead in the 21st minute through Emmanuel Okwi. The striker having been handed the armband in the absence of Dennis Onyango sent defender Joash Onyango back to the coolers this some good work by a teammate on the left-wing.

The goal was a wakeup call to Stars and they almost restored parity in the 32nd minute after Ayub Timbe took matters into his own hands with a sumptuous run before squaring the ball to Eric Johanna, but the IF Bromma man shot straight at the keeper.

With Uganda continuing with their dominance, Coach Francis Kimanzi was to withdraw Collins Agade for Whyvonne Isuza in the 39th minute as the home side held on for a 1-0 score in favor of the guest despite Tadeo Luwaga missing an open header in the dying minutes of the half to double Uganda’s lead.

Second Half

Kimanzi was to withdraw Michael Kibwage for Johnstone Omurwa at the interval and Stars was to restore parity five minutes after resumption through Gor Mahia captain Kenneth Muguna. After some donkey work by Eric Ouma who beat a series of players on the left side, the ball fell to Timbe whose cross was toe pocked by Muguna past the Ugandan keeper.

Stars second-half start was proving to be a brilliant one and they almost took the lead in the 55th minute when Eric Johanna lob in a scramble in the Ugandan box was blocked by the opposition keeper with the rebound blocked by the defence; Olunga coming close with a header a minute later.

Atariza Meja was to be introduced for Samuel Olwande on the 67th minute with Uganda withdrawing Khalid Aucho for Muzamir Mutyaba; Kimanzi was to throw Boniface Muchiri for Johanna and Duke Abuya for Kenneth Muguna with less than nine minutes remaining on the clock.

Penalty Appeal

Stars thought they had won a penalty with five minutes remaining on the clock after Timbe was brought down but the referee said it was outside the box with the resultant free-kick being wasted.

Olunga was to hit the post in the dying minutes of the game with Muchiri's effort stinger being tipped off by the Uganda keeper. 

Image Courtesy 

Read More: Virgil van Dijk set to sign new Liverpool contract