There’s nothing we love like youngsters, but how about a rare moment to appreciate our golden seniors?
There’s something always delighting about seeing ageing stars continue to perform in a young man’s game. This season’s Absa Premiership sees several seasoned professionals that are always oh so important in inspiring and leading the young players we all love.
Soweto's very own. They call him Majavu. Lovely on the pass, freekick and shibobo!
The top ten list below sees footballers ranging between 34 years of age to as old as 39. Unsurprisingly, the oldest is a goalkeeper. We all know Moeneeb Josephs of Orlando Pirates fame.
While the rest of the players are all defenders, the catalogue also features two attacking players: Jabulani Maluleke and Kurt Lentjies.
Lentjies, a fine goalscorer, passer and general wise head.
Here’s the list:
- Moeneeb Josephs (AmaZulu): 39 years
- Jabulani Maluleke (Polokwane City): 37 years
- Morgan Gould (Stellenbosch FC): 36 years
- Wayne Sandilands (Orlando Pirates): 36 years
- Bevan Fransman (Highlands Park): 35 years
- Elias Pelembe (Bidvest Wits): 35 years
- Clayton Daniels (SuperSport United): 35 years
- Wayne Arendse (Mamelodi Sundowns): 34 years
- Kurt Lentjies (Chippa United): 34 years
- Musa Bilankulu (Golden Arrows): 34 years.
*Note: Our list only includes players who have made appearances this season. There are older players at various clubs but we have omitted the as they are yet to play any football in 2019/20.
Read more: Bafana coach Ntseki names squad for Mali