World marathon record holder Eliud Kipchoge will battle Lionel Messi, Tiger Woods and Rafael Nadal for the Sportsman of the Year in the Laureus World Sports Awards.
Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton and Spain's cycling champion Marc Marquez complete the six-man shortlist for top honors that was announced on Wednesday.
Kipchoge enjoyed a successful year in 2019, capping it off by becoming the first athlete to run a marathon in under two hours by clocking 1hr 59mins 40secs.
Messi, on the other hand, won the Ballon d'Or and was once again on top of his game as he led Barcelona to the La Liga title.
Other categories included sportswoman of the year, the team of the year, the breakthrough of the year, the comeback of the year, sportsperson of the year with a disability and action sportsperson of the year.
English Premier League side Liverpool have been nominated in the team of the year category, alongside USA women's football team and South African Men's Rugby Team.
Laureus World Sportsman of the Year
- Lewis Hamilton (UK) Motor Racing
- Eliud Kipchoge (Kenya) Athletics
- Marc Marquez (Spain) Motor Cycling
- Lionel Messi (Argentina) Football
- Rafael Nadal (Spain) Tennis
- Tiger Woods (USA) Golf
Laureus World Team of the Year
- Liverpool (UK) Football
- Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team (Germany) Motor Racing
- South Africa Men’s Rugby Team
- Spain Men’s Basketball Team
- Toronto Raptors (Canada) Basketball
- United States Women’s Football Team
The winners will be unveiled on 17th February during the 20th anniversary of the awards which is set to take place in Berlin, Germany.
⬇️ Predict 6 EPL football scores with Futaa6 and you could win the $10,000 Jackpot, best of all it’s completely free to play every week in the Futaa Android App Download it now to play!