Man City will look to continue their rise up the Premier League table when they host an inconsistent Newcastle side on Boxing Day.
With Gabriel Jesus out due to COVID-19, will we see Kun Aguero back and in form?
📝 Match context
Newcastle United are currently in 12th place in the Premier League table and have been plagued by bouts of inconsistency over the past few months.
The Magpies suffered a shocking defeat to Brentford in the League Cup during the week and will need to bounce back in this game.
Manchester City, on the other hand, thrashed a struggling Arsenal outfit by a 4-1 margin in their quarter-final clash and will be confident ahead of this fixture. Pep Guardiola's side is three points away from the top four at the moment and will want to make further progress on its recovery this weekend.
🔮 Predicted XIs
Cityzens (4-2-3-1): Ederson; Cancelo, Dias, Stones, Mendy; Rodri, Gundogan; Foden, de Bruyne, Sterling; Kun Aguero
The Magpies (3-5-1-1): Darlow; Fernandez, Clark, Dummett; Krafth, Almiron, Hayden, Shelvey, Lewis; Joelinton; Wilson
🔑 Key stats
- Manchester City have won each of their last 11 Premier League home games against Newcastle, scoring 39 goals and conceding just seven in return. It’s the Citizens’ longest winning home run against an opponent in their top-flight history.
- Newcastle haven’t won any of their last 16 away league games against Man City (D2 L14), last winning such a game against them in September 2000 (1-0). Their current run of 11 straight away defeats against Man City is their longest such losing streak in their league history.
- Manchester City have scored in each of their last 23 Premier League games against Newcastle (61 goals in total) – only Arsenal have had a longer run of scoring in consecutive games against an opponent in the competition (24 vs West Bromwich Albion).
- Manchester City lost their last Boxing Day game in the Premier League, 1-2 against Leicester in 2018. They’ve not lost consecutive such matches since a run of three between 2003-2005.
- Newcastle have lost each of their last five league Boxing Day games, since a 5-1 win against Stoke in 2013. Indeed, in the Premier League, the Magpies have lost more Boxing Day games (14) and conceded more Boxing Day goals (42) than any other side in the competition.
- Manchester City’s 19 goals in 13 Premier League games this season is their lowest goals-per-game ratio in the competition (1.46) since 2007-08 (1.18). It’s also manager Pep Guardiola’s lowest such ratio in his top-flight managerial career.
- Sergio Aguero’s 15 Premier League goals for Man City against Newcastle is the most a player has scored for a single team against a specific opponent in the competition’s history.
- Newcastle boss Steve Bruce is looking for his first-ever away Premier League win against Manchester City (P12 W0 D3 L9) – his only away league win against City was in the second tier in November 1999 with Huddersfield Town.
- Man City’s Kevin De Bruyne has provided 15 Premier League assists in 2020, three short of his record in a single calendar year in the competition (18 in 2017). The Belgian has been involved in seven goals in his seven league games against Newcastle (2 goals, 5 assists).
- Newcastle’s Callum Wilson has scored eight goals in 12 Premier League games this season, as many as he netted in 35 appearances last term. Only in 2018-19 (14) has he scored more in a single campaign in the competition.
📲 Follow Man City vs Newcastle United live on Futaa!