Both the Saints and the Reds go into Monday night's Premier League meetings on the back of a disappointing festive season, but hope springs eternal for both in 2021.
Here's all you need to know in order to make well-informed picks.
📄 Match preview
Southampton (W7, D5, L4) has made their best 16-game start to a Premier League season since 2014-15, a campaign which saw them finish seventh. The Saints’ 0-0 draw against West Ham United on Dec 29 was their first stalemate in nine home league games, while they netted two or more goals in seven of those fixtures. However, they've failed to win any of their last four top-flight matches and scored just one goal in that sequence.
With Southampton failing to score in their last three games and Liverpool being left disappointed to have taken just two points from games against West Brom and Newcastle, this is fascinatingly poised.
Liverpool has won just one of their last seven away games in the top-flight but they may be eyeing out this fixture as a source for three crucial points - Southampton has lost all of their last six Premier League clashes with Liverpool by an aggregate score of 17-2.
🔮 Predicted XIs
🧮 Southampton (4-4-2):
Forster; Walker-Peters, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand; Armstrong, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Walcott; Adams, Ings
🧮 Liverpool (4-3-3):
Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, R. Williams, Fabinho, Robertson; Henderson, Thiago, Wijnaldum; Salah, Firmino, Mané
🔑 Key betting stats
- Southampton has seen over 2.5 goals in their last four matches against Liverpool in all competitions.
- Southampton has scored at least twice in seven of their last nine home matches in the EPL.
- Mo Salah has scored seven goals in his six Premier League games against the Saints and has found the net six times in his last seven most recent outings.
- Liverpool has won their first league game in just one of the last eight calendar years when kicking off the new year away from home (D4 L3), with that victory coming at Burnley in 2018.
- Liverpool has scored at least two goals in their last six matches against Southampton.
💰 Futaa bets
📲 Follow Southampton vs Liverpool live