The man's profile is something special. Manchester United seemed to have appointed as great a manager as any top club can possibly find. Ralf Rangnick is the new interim manager after the sacking of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Who is Ralf Rangnick really? Here is everything to know about this man that has the look of a fierce disciplinarian.
Rangnick will take charge for six months until the end of the season, before becoming a consultant role at United for at least two years.
- The 63-year-old German’s previous role was head of sports and development at Lokomotiv Moscow
- Rangnick’s longest coaching spell was at Bundesliga side FC Schalke 04 for five years before he later moved to RB Leipzig to prove himself as one of the best in the world.
- How’s this? Rangnick is dubbed the 'professor of football' for inspiring modern German coaches Jurgen Klopp, Thomas Tuchel, Ralph Hasenhüttl and Julian Nagelsmann.
- He is recognised as one of the innovators of the gegenpress tactic, where a team speedily fights to win the ball back after losing possession rather than dropping deep.
- What's his favourite formation? Well, unlike Klopp, who is a 4-3-3 man or Tuchel's inclination on the 3-4-3, Rangnick does not have a fixedly preferred system but adapts to the players at hand.
Meanwhile, the German is preparing his team to take on Mikel Arteta's surging Arsenal at Old Trafford on Thursday.