Weghorst announces he wants to leave Burnley
Transfer News

Weghorst announces he wants to leave Burnley

Wout Weghorst has announced he will leave Burnley after the Premier League club was relegated at the end of the just-concluded season. 

The Dutch international joined the Clarets in January from Wolfsburg, signing a three-year contract. 

He has however said he has no intentions of playing in the Championship next season, and will look to leave this summer. 

"My future won't be next year in Burnley," said Weghorst. "I won't go into the Championship - not that I feel too good for it, absolutely not.

"I am just really ambitious and also it's about the national team. The coach Louis van Gaal wants us to play at a high level.

"There are some options for me in a higher potential of league than the Championship. I have to take the chances offered there. We will see what the future will bring."

Weghorst added: "I really hope they will return directly to the Premier League. I don't feel I have been that successful in England so far."

He further suggested he could be open for a loan deal. 

“It could be a loan or a buy. I didn’t make the move to Burnley believing in the whole concept with the American owners for just a half-year. I could see the bigger picture and I have got the feeling I am not done in the Premier League.

Weghorst scored Netherlands' winning goal in the UEFA Nations League on Thursday night as they ran out 2-1 winners against Wales. 

  • Burnley - Next Match
  • 16, Aug - 9:45pm
Go to Event