Should Newport upset Manchester City tonight in the FA Cup fifth round match that will represent the biggest upset in the competition, manager Michael Flynn has said.
Man City travel to Rodney Parade in what is the second meeting between the sides in the competition. Flynn alluded that he will celebrate more if his team wins given the gulf in quality between the two teams and that Pep Guardiola's presence adds flavour to the tie. He describes the Spaniard as the best in the world.
"If we win this, whether it's extra-time or penalties and I don't care how we do it, it will be the biggest shock in FA Cup history. My reasons for that are because of the sheer gulf in finances, the quality of the players Man City have, the level they are playing at, and that they have the best manager in the world right now. So for those reasons, it will be the biggest shock the FA Cup has ever seen." Flynn said.
For more stats visit Futaa.com
- The meeting at the Rodney Parade is the first meeting between the two sides in the FA Cup competition. They first met in October 1962 with Man City winning 2-1.
- Before 1962, Man City have been victors in all the three matches they have played against the League Two side. The Premier League side won the matches with an aggregate score of 10-2.
- This represents Newport's second appearance in this competition at this stage ( Fifth Round). they lost the last match they played against Portsmouth in 1949 going down 2-3.
- Man City have been winners in two previous matches winning by an aggregate of 12-0. But they have won one of the last six matches involving sides from a lower division (D4 L1), with the loss coming from Wigan's encounter.
- Newport's Padraig Amond has scored five goals in his last eight FA Cup appearances, netting in the first, second, third and fourth rounds this season.
- Despite playing just two games, no side has had more different goalscorers in the FA Cup this season than Manchester City (9, level with AFC Wimbledon).