Dembélé to miss El Clásico following two-match ban
Dembélé to miss El Clásico following two-match ban
General

Dembélé to miss El Clásico following two-match ban

Barcelona will miss the services of winger Ousmane Dembele for the first El Clásico match of the season after the Frenchman was handed a two-match ban. 

Dembele was sent off for dissent in Barcelona's 4-0 win over Sevilla last weekend, following chaotic scenes involving teammate Ronald Araujo who had already been given his marching orders.

The winger, who had already been booked, was shown a straight red card, thereby reducing the hosts to nine players. 

According to the referee, the 22-year-old had told the match official he was "very bad, you're very bad".

Despite Barcelona appealing, Spain's Competition Committee on Wednesday banned the winger for two matches, meaning he will miss the trip to Eibar before their match against Real Madrid. 

According to the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) disciplinary code, Dembele's action carries a ban of either two or three matches or a suspension of up to a month.

Immediately after the match, coach Ernesto Valverde defended Dembele, saying the former Borrusia Dortmund's communication can be misunderstood. 

 "I don't know what Dembele could have said (to the referee, in order to get a red card). More than anything because even I find it difficult to talk to Dembele (in Spanish)..." said Valverde. 

Barcelona are currently second on 16 points, two behind league leaders Real Madrid who are on 18 points. 

Read more: Messi reveals his best ever career goal

⬇️ Get the latest FC Barcelona Live scores, commentary, results and stats on the Futaa Live App, with over 1000 teams, 100+ leagues and the lowest data usage. Download it now at the Google Play store, it’s only 3mb!

Read More: 2021 AFCONQ: Ivory Coast shocked by Ethiopia as Khama Billiat stars for Zimbabwe

  • FC Barcelona - Next Match
  • 23, Nov - 1:00pm
Go to Team Hub