The iconic Frenchman is the most successful manager in Arsenal's history after transforming the entire image of the club in the late 90s and a large part of the early 00s.
He oversaw Arsenal's unprecedented "Invincibles" season where they went the entire 2003/2004 Premier League campaign unbeaten, playing swashbuckling, breathtaking football in the process. He won three Premier League crowns and a competition-record seven FA Cup titles at the helm.
Wenger turns 70 today and it seems appropriate to recall some of his best moments, note down his achievements and relive a few classic quotes from the man himself.
Happy 70th Birthday to Le Prof, Arsène Wenger!— Throwback Arsenal (@ThrowbackAFC) October 22, 2019
Wengerball, a phrase coined to describe the attacking, quick-passing style of football taught by Arsène Wenger, became famous around the world. What a treat it was to watch Arsène's teams in full-flow.
🗣🔴 Wenger's best quotes
Arsène always had a sharp, witty response to most questions posed by the media. Here are some of our favourites.
- "A football team is like a beautiful woman. When you do not tell her, she forgets she is beautiful.” - on football
- “Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.” - Arsène responds to Sir Alex Ferguson’s 2002 claim that Manchester United had been the best side in the Premier League since Christmas that season.
- “We do not buy superstars. We make them.” - on building squads
- “He can only cheat.” - on Ruud van Nistelrooy
- “Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal? Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away.” - on North London rivals Tottenham Hotspur
- “I am a fan of his music of course, but I am not a specialist enough to assess his musical quality. I must say the message he gave to my generation was very important because it was after the Second World War and it was basically – be strong enough to be yourself. That is a very strong message and very important for my generation.” - on David Bowie's death in 2016
- “To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.” - Arsène signs off his statement confirming his departure in 2018
Wenger will forever be synonymous with Arsenal Football Club, and not merely because of his aptly coincidental first name. He transformed The Gunners from being a defensive football team into one of the most attacking, flamboyant and exciting teams on the planet. From top to bottom, Arsène was responsible for modernizing the diets of the players, instilling a new football philosophy and singlehandedly moving them into a new stadium and a new era.
There's only one Arsène Wenger. Happy birthday sir!
⬇️ Predict 6 EPL football scores with Futaa6 and you could win the $10,000 Jackpot, best of all it’s completely free to play every week in the Futaa Android App Download it now to play!