Boca Juniors will be pinning their hopes on local hero Carlos Tevez when they face Santos in what is sure to be a tight-contested Copa Libertadores semifinal 2nd leg.
Here's all you need to know ahead of the match in order to make well-informed picks with betPawa.
📄 Match preview
Nothing could separate the two sides in the first leg at La Bombonera after a goalless draw, meaning that it's all up for grabs at Vila Belmiro in São Paulo between two of South America's most iconic sides.
Almost a decade has passed since Brazilian giants Santos last won the competition, and in that time Boca has endured two heartbreaking defeats at the final hurdle in 2012 and 2018. Boca has struggled in the knockout stages this term, winning just two of their five legs within inside regular time and failing to score before the halftime break in all but one of those.
Santos will be looking to reach their fifth Copa Libertadores final and a first since 2011 when they beat Uruguayan side Penarol for their third title. Boca Juniors is also one of the competition’s most successful sides, with their six titles bettered only by Independiente (seven) and no other side has appeared in more finals. Boca Juniors’ last Copa success came in 2007 when they beat Brazilian opposition, Gremio, in the final. In 2003, they beat Santos in the showpiece with a certain Carlos Tevez in their side.
There's no shortage of high-calibre, experienced players on show here and it should be a nailbiting contest.
🔮 Predicted XIs
🇧🇷 Santos (4-3-3):
Furtado; Para, Verissimo, Peres Petroni, Jonatan; Pituca, Alison, Braga; Marinho, Jorge, Soteldo
🇦🇷 Boca (4-4-2):
Andrada; Jara, Lopez, Izquierdos, Fabra; Capaldo, Gonzalez, Salvio, Villa; Abila, Tevez
🔑 Key betting stats
- Santos has lost just one of their last nine competitive home games (W5, D3, L1).
- Five of Boca’s last six away games in this tournament against Brazilian sides featured under 2.5 goals (W2, D4).
- Marinho has scored in Santos’ last three home matches and is up against Boca’s in-form Ramón Ábila, who has scored four goals in their last four games, three arriving before halftime.
- Santos has won just two of their last nine competitive matches (W2, D4, L3).
- 34-time Argentinian champions Boca has lost just one of their last 14 away games (W10, D3, L1), but all five Copa Libertadores ties in tat sequence featured under 2.5 goals (W3, D1, L1).
- One or neither side has scored in Boca’s last ten Copa Libertadores matches.
💰 Futaa value bet
🔮 PREDICTION: Santos 0-1 Boca Juniors
📲 Follow Santos vs Boca live