Newcastle United 3-4 Manchester City: Torres bags a hattrick for the newly-crowned Premier League champions in a thrilling encounter

Newcastle United 3-4 Manchester City: Torres bags a hattrick for the newly-crowned Premier League champions in a thrilling encounter

Manchester City, the newly crowned Premier League champions, returned to winning ways in the English top-flight on Friday, defeating Newcastle United 4-3 in a hard-fought match.

The game had the potential to be a dead rubber with the hosts safe from relegation and City crowned champions, but luckily both sides put on a display and scored plenty of goals.

City won the enthralling seven-goal thriller against Newcastle United thanks to a 22-minute hat-trick from Ferran Torres.

In a match that will be remembered as a Premier League classic, the Magpies led, then trailed, then led again before City came back to win.

The win also set a new English record of 12 consecutive league away victories.

How it all went down...

With City leading the first half, it came as a surprise when Newcastle scored on 24 minutes with their first shot on goal.

Emil Krafth planted a header past debutant Scott Carson to make it 1-0 after the hosts had barely gotten out of their own half after a rare assault resulted in a corner.

Manuel Almiron was fouled 20 yards from goal ten minutes later, and Jonjo Shelvey's free-kick slammed into the crossbar.

If City were shaken, it didn't show, and Joao Cancelo leveled the game on 38 minutes.

Rodrigo probed the left side of the Magpies' box before passing to the Portuguese, who hit a first-time angled shot that hit Jacob Murphy before arrowing into the bottom right corner.

With a stunning volley from Ferran Torres three minutes later, the champions were in front.

Ilkay Gundogan's free-kick from the left flank saw the Spaniard change his foot to meet the ball on the full, then flick the ball with his heel in a spectacular and deft flick that gave Martin Dubravka no chance.

After VAR adjudged Joelinton to have been pulled down by Nathan Ake deep into added time, a penalty was awarded, and the Brazilian striker made no mistake from the spot to make it 2-2 – it seemed to be a harsh decision on inspection.

Quite a first-half!

The second period's first talking point came when City conceded a second penalty after Kyle Walker was fouled in the box by Joe Willock.

Scott Carson made a great save, but Willock took advantage of the loose ball to bring the hosts up 3-2 just after the hour mark.

Gabriel Jesus drilled a low cross in from the left and Torres showed his predatory instincts to slide home a high shot to make it 3-3 within two minutes in this see-saw, exciting game.

It was thrilling stuff, and City went up 4-3 only a few minutes later!

Torres completed his hat-trick after Cancelo's long-range attempt smacked the foot of the post, and as the ball sailed upwards and out, he showed lightning reactions to volley into the roof of the net from eight yards.

In just 22 minutes, the 21-year-old had scored three goals and moved to the top of the scoring charts with 13 goals.

City controlled the ball for most of the remaining time, hoping to replicate the famous 4-3 victory at St James' Park 53 years ago when the team that included Bell, Summerbee, and Lee captured the championship on Tyneside.

The result puts City 13 points ahead of second-placed Manchester United, with Guardiola and his players already looking ahead to the Champions League final against Chelsea later this month.

Check the game's stats here!

  • Manchester City - Next Match
  • 7, Aug - 5:00pm
Go to Event