FC Barcelona have had financial struggles since the start of the season; a move that saw them let captain Lionel Messi join PSG on a free transfer in the summer.
While Messi was the highest earner in the club, players like Gerard Pique have been forced to take pay cuts so as to allow the registration of new players like Sergio Aguero and Memphis Depay.
Messi last signed a contract at Camp Nou, he was earning around £60,758,000 ($82.8m) per year or £1,168,423 per week.
According to fcbarcelonalatestnews.com, Dutch midfielder Frenkie de Jong has taken over from Messi as the top earner at Barcelona, with a weekly wage of £354,000. That's an annual salary of £18,434,000, putting him ahead of Sergio Busquets and Sergio Aguero.
The top 10 earners at Barcelona
- 1. Frenkie de Jong - £354,000 a week
- 2. Sergio Busquets - £258,000 a week
- 3= Sergio Aguero - £230,000 a week
- 3= Memphis Depay - £230,000 a week
- 5= Gerard Pique - £210,000 a week
- 5= Ousmane Dembele - £210,000 a week
- 5= Miralem Pjanic - £210,000 a week
- 8. Samuel Umtiti - £208,000 a week
- 9. Sergi Roberto - £170,000 a week
- 10. Jordi Alba - £150,000 a week