| Futaa.com Tanzania

Manchester City retained their English Premier League title in spectacular fashion, drubbing Brighton & Hove Albion 4-1 away on Sunday evening.

The match started with City on the attack and the first attempt ended as the hosts’ goal kick in the first minute.

Brighton, however, fought back and went toe-to-toe with the defending champions after that, causing City problems going forward.

They almost took the lead inside 13 minutes, when Knockaert released Jahanbakhsh into space down the left flank, who then cut back on to his right foot to strike at goal, just placing his effort wide of the target.

Brighton keeper Ryan was forced into a good save on the 24th minute, palming away Mahrez's low cross following some good work from Aguero and David Silva on the left flank.

Murray shocks City

The Seagulls then took the lead against the run of play on 27 minutes, with Murray finishing through a perfect header to hand the home team the lead.



Guardiola’s men responded immediately, as Sergio Aguero collected a perfect ball from the ever-green David Silva to convert, a minute after Brighton took the lead.

City took the lead for the first time in the match on 38 minutes, this time Laporte with the huge goal that took them back to the top again.

Mahrez lifted a pinpoint delivery into the box and once again a mistake by Murray, who failed to track Laporte, allows City to take the lead going into the break.

Second half

City picked the second half from where they left going to the break and showed real urgency as they went in search of the third goal.

After a couple of missed chances, the visitors scored a third that all but ensured they retained their title, this time Mahrez with the goal.



The Algerian ran to the edge of the box and beat one challenge with a neat piece of skill before firing with his right foot to the top of the corner much to the joy of the away fans.

Gundogan stunner

Ilkay Gundogan then wrapped up the win for City, scoring the fourth in spectacular fashion.

The Germany curled his effort over the wall and into the inside of the post to nestle into the back of the net to give the Cityzens a 4-1 lead.



With the title literally in the bag for the visitors, they toyed around with their hosts in the dying minutes of the match as they held on to retain their title.

City finished top of the table with 98 points, one ahead of Liverpool who won 2-0 at home to Wolves. 

This is the first time the title has been defended since Alex Furguson did the same with Manchester United in 2009. 

Read more: Manchester City starting lineup against Brighton