Top five nations with the most AFCON titles
Without surprise, the most AFCON titles have been shared in North and West Africa. Futaa looks at which nations have won the most AFCON trophies.
It’s not unexpected that the Pharaohs of Egypt have been the continents most supreme nation with an astonishing seven titles.
Here’s a list by titles won:
1. Egypt: Seven titles (1957, 1986, 1998, 2006, 2008 & 2010)
2. Cameroon: Five titles (1984, 1988, 2000, 2002 & 2017)
3. Ghana: Four titles (1963, 1965, 1978 & 1982)
TIMELESS: Ghana players celebrate with AFCON 1982 trophy after beating Libya in finals. Last major trophy till date pic.twitter.com/b3rosup92j— so (@Saddick_Adams) February 2, 2016
4. Nigeria: Three titles (1980, 1994 & 2013)
5. Ivory Coast & DR Congo: Joint-two titles ( 1992, 2015) and (1968, 1974).
With less than 20 days to the 2019 tournament, will hosts Egypt clinch an eight title? Or will Africa’s top number one-placed nation Senegal lift their first ever title?
Make sure to follow Futaa for all the action and breaking news.
Read more: The 24 Nations that qualified for 2019 AFCON