Uganda’s Cranes have had a superb start at AFCON 2019. They next face Zimbabwe in a Group A humdinger on Wednesday.
The East Africans have their tails up after defeating the fifth-ranked DR Congo 2-0 in a Group A opener. Up next are Zimbabwe’s Warriors who are bruised and hungry for a win after a 1-0 loss to Egypt.
So with this mouth-watering clash ahead of us, we thought we should have a quick look at the history of this fixture between these East and South nations.
The Cranes and Warriors have met no less than 14 times in all competitions since the turn of the century.
Of these, Uganda have won only two while Zimbabwe have collected a dominant five wins. As far as big thrashings, Uganda have hammered Zimbabwe 4-1 back in 1984.
History seems to count for little in this tournament - and especially with both teams’ new look sides.
All past meetings since '81:
- 1981: Uganda 0-0 Zimbabwe - CECAFA Cup
- 1982: Zimbabwe 2-1 Uganda - International Friendly
- 1982: Zimbabwe 1-1 Uganda - International Friendly
- 1982: Uganda 1-1 Zimbabwe - CECAFA Cup
- 1983: Uganda 0-1 Zimbabwe - CECAFA Cup
- 1984: Zimbabwe 1-0 Uganda - International Friendly
- 1984: Uganda 4-1 Zimbabwe - CECAFA Cup
- 1987: Zimbabwe 0-0 Uganda - CECAFA Cup
- 1987: Uganda 2-2 Zimbabwe - CECAFA Cup
- 1988: Uganda 0-0 Zimbabwe - CECAFA Cup
- 1989: Uganda 1-1 Zimbabwe - CECAFA Cup
- 2004: Zimbabwe 2-0 Uganda - International Friendly
- 2011: Zimbabwe 0-1 Uganda - CECAFA Cup
- 2016: Zimbabwe 2-0 Uganda - International Friendly.
Will Zimbabwe continue the dominance tomorrow evening at 7 pm in Cairo or the Cranes just an entirely different beast under Sébastien Desabre right now?