Borussia Dortmund and Barcelona played out an improbable 0-0 draw and there was a surprise defeat for European Champions Liverpool in Naples.
What were the best OPTA stats to come out of Tuesday's Matchday 1 action?
Opta’s best Tuesday stats 📖
- Ansu Fati (16 years and 321 days) will become the youngest player in Champions League history to play for Barcelona, breaking the record previously held by Bojan (17 years and 22 days).
- Chelsea is the first team since Liverpool in December 2008 against PSV (Darby, Kelly, Spearing) to hand three Champions League debuts to Englishmen aged 21 or younger in the same game (Abraham, Mount, Tomori).
- Erling Haaland, aged 19 years and 58 days, is the third-youngest player to score a Champions League hat-trick, behind Raúl (18y 113d in 1995) and Wayne Rooney (18y 340d in 2004).
- Frank Lampard is the first Chelsea manager to lose his first Champions League match in charge – 10 of the previous 11 had won, while Gianluca Vialli drew with Milan in 1999.
- Since a 2-0 win over Udinese as Borussia Dortmund boss in October 2008, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has lost on each of his last five visits to Italian sides in all competitions.
- Marc-André ter Stegen has saved four of the six penalties he has faced in the Champions League. Since the beginning of detailed data collection in 2003-04, no other keeper has saved more in the competition.
Tonight, PSG hosts Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid clash with Juventus in two of the blockbuster Wednesday ties.
Follow Atletico vs Juventus live on Futaa!