Sunday was a good afternoon in Port Elizabeth. Bafana Bafana’s attack had a ball and Themba Zwane was a delight.
Ronwen Williams (7)
- Only played 45 minutes but it was all he needed to produce two brilliant saves to keep the score 0-0. Wiliams is a special talent!
Thapelo Morena (4)
- Made a superb overlapping attack but was let down by his final pass - otherwise a mistake-ridden ‘second’ debut.
Thulani Hlatshwayo (6)
- Mali created too many scoring chances. Played with an unfamiliar partner but Tyson should have still shown better organization.
Eric Mathoho (7)
- Delivered a decent shift for a man playing his first international game in years. Always was a threat on set-pieces.
Dean Furman (7)
- Cooly slotted in the penalty for 1-0 but was at fault for allowing Mali to created several opportunities through the centre.
Kamohelo Mokotjo (5)
- Not his best, never fully imposed midfield dominance and was nowhere during Mali’s equalizer.
Thulani Serero (7)
- Was intelligent in winning the penalty but seemed to hide for much of the game - short on confidence in a Bafana shirt.
Thembinkosi Lorch (6)
- Superb through ball to find Themba Zwane for the equalizer.
Keagan Dolly (4)
- Misplaced a couple of passes but suffering an injury in the first half.
Bradley Grobler (6)
- Moved really well to create spaces for the attacking trio but the favour was not returned in terms of early balls into the box.
- Themba Zwane (8): Bafana scorer for 2-1 and best creative player on the grass. Great talent.
- Darren Keet (5): Well beaten for Mali’s equalizer.
- Lebogang Phiri (7): Immediate impact. Carried the ball with pace into attack.
- Kermit Erasmus (6): Made himself available a lot. Two shots with one on target.
- Thato Mokeke (5): Had a great chance to shoot but fluffed it over.
Coach Molefi Ntseki has been left with a key note. Many of Sunday's best performance played less than 45 minutes. It will be interesting to see if the likes of Zwane, Phiri, Erasmus, Grobler will play ahead of footballers such as Lebo Mathiba, Mokotjo, Dolly and Lorch in Ghana.
Bafana will take on the Black Stars away on the weekend of November 11 in an AFCON 2021 qualifier.