Man City 1-2 Manchester United: Ole's men win 179th derby

Man City 1-2 Manchester United: Ole's men win 179th derby

The 179th Manchester derby went in favour of United as they beat City 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

Manchester United scored two first-half goals through Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial and did a good defensive job in the second half to keep City away.

United had a chance to be in front in the 10th minute when Jesse Lingard danced into the box in acres of space and had a free shot from 10 yards. But it was too close to Ederson, who saved with his feet.

Three minutes later, it was Man City's chance, Bernardo Silva made a dribble in the wing and crossed inside the box, Gabriel Jesus got hold of the ball but he was blacked by United defence, and his penalty call for a handball was ignored by referee Anthony Taylor.

Ederson was called to duty yet again as he saved Anthony Martial's straight shot.

Penalty was awarded to Manchester United after Bernardo Silva brought down Marcus Rashford inside the danger area, with VAR intervening and confirming the penalty.

Rashford converted nicely as he beat Ederson to give United the lead after 23 minutes.

Rashford was to miss a clear chance two minutes later as he failed to make good use of a counter-attack pass from Fred.

Just before the half-hour mark, United extended the lead. Martial played a quick give-and-go on the edge and sauntered into the box. There was no City challenges. Martial got the ball into a shooting position and reverses a clever strike that beat Ederson at his near post.

Man City had a chance to reduce the deficit, but Jesus headed away a cross from Kevin De Bruyne.

City dominated the last five minutes of the first half but their efforts met a resilient United defence as the game ended 2-0 to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer men at half time.

They had a penalty call when Fred touched the ball during a fall, but VAR check ruled it out.

The second half resumed, and Manchester City came out smoking. But the home fans are starting to get a bit restless with City's passing. A chance came and De Bruyne ended the attack but curling a poor cross straight out of play. Such a low level of quality.

Referee Anthony Taylor showed United goalkeeper De Gea a yellow, he did not like the way the player took his time over the goal kick.

At the hour-mark, City had another chance, Sterling jinked past two United defenders into the box and he was about to strike one from about eight yards out but Wan-Bissaka somehow got back to put him off at the most crucial time.

City fans could barely bear it any longer. Fred and Lingard went over to take the corner and were pelted with objects from the crowd. The camera showed at least three lighters and a bottle around the United players. Fred then was struck by an object on the back of his neck. He was OK to continue.

As the game approached it's final 10 minutes, it was getting frustrating for City. There was not much crisp passing in and around the box and their best hope seemed a mistake from a United defender.

Out of nothing, City pulled one back five minutes from time when De Bruyne sent in a typically sensational ball into the danger zone and Otamendi showed brilliant tenacity to beat Wan Bissaka and Maguire in the air. He thumped a header home.

The five extra minutes added was not enough to see a Manchester City comeback as United secured a 2-1 victory.