Ugandan protege Allan Okello'smove from KCCA to Algerian side Paradou AC has been ranked among the most expensive transfers in the January window in Africa.
Okellocost the Algerian side $200,000 which places him among the top ten most expensive buys in Africa in the short transfer window.
Kenyan international Anthony Akumu was ranked eighth after he cost South African side Kaizer Chiefs $120,000 in signing fee. He joined Amakhosi on a free transfer.
North African dominance
Senegalese burly forward cost Al Ahly $2.3m making him Africa's expensive purchase in the 2020 January window. Tunisian club Esperance Esperance splashed $1.4m on Abderrahmane Meziane as they lured him from Al Ain in the United Arab Emirates. Meziane is the second most expensive player in 2020.
North African club's continued dominating the money charts Sudan's Al Hilal spent $350,000 to get Emad Mohsin from Al Zawraa while Mohamed Amine Tougay's move to Esperance from NA Hussein Dey cost $220,000.
Rounding off the top five is another North African club Wydad Casablanca who spent $220,000 to get Soufiane Karkache from rivals RS Berkane.
Okello's move to Paradou comes in at sixth while Francis Kazengu's $190,000 from Wydad is seventh. Mohamed Ben Hammouda move to Esperance Tunis cost $180,000 while Akumu cost South Africans nothing but pocketed $120,000 sign-on fee.
Top 10 Most Expensive January transfers
- Aliou Badji: Rapid Vienna to Al Ahly SC – $2.3 million
- Abderrahmane Meziane: Al Ain FC to Espérance Tunis – $1.4 million
- Emad Mohsin Majeed: Al-Zawraa SC to Al Hilal Club – $350,000
- Mohamed Amine Tougai: NA Hussein Dey to Espérance Tunis – $220,000
- Soufiane Karkache: RS Berkane to Wydad AC – $220,000
- Allan Okello: KCCA FC to Paradou AC – $200,000
- Francy Kasengu Kazadi: Chabab Mohammedia to Wydad AC – $190,000
- Mohamed Ben Hammouda: AS Soliman to Espérance Tunis – $180,000
- Anthony Akumu: ZESCO United to Kaizer Chiefs – Free Transfer ($120,000 sign-on fee and $13,000 monthly salary)
- Sikiru Alimi: Lobi Stars to Stade Tunisien – $120, 0000