Rennes fell to another defeat on Friday as they hosted Bordeaux, and the out-of-form Ligue 1 outfit are justified underdogs as they face a Chelsea side in excellent shape.
🔑 Match details
Les Rennais have lost five of their previous six fixtures in all competitions including each of their last three, with their latest game ending in a narrow 1-0 defeat to Bordeaux at home this past weekend. And they will be hoping to end that streak with a positive result on Tuesday evening.
Chelsea, meanwhile, have been in scintillating form, having recovered from their early-season jitters. The Blues are currently on a nine-game unbeaten streak, winning each of their last five in all competitions. Consequently, Frank Lampard’s side sit third in the Premier League and are at the top of Group E in the Champions League, with seven points from three games.
The last time these two sides met in the reverse fixture at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea triumphed 3-0 courtesy a Timo Werner double and a goal from Tammy Abraham.
🔢 Key betting stats
- The first European encounter between Rennes and Chelsea was on MD3 of this season’s UEFA Champions League, with the Blues winning 3-0 at Stamford Bridge.
- Rennes have hosted English teams twice previously in European competition and won both games, beating Aston Villa in July 2001 in the Intertoto Cup and Arsenal in March 2019 in the UEFA Europa League.
- Chelsea have won just two of their nine away UEFA Champions League matches in France (D2 L5), though won on their last visit there last season, beating Lille 2-1 in the group stage.
- Rennes are yet to win in any of their three UEFA Champions League matches so far (D1 L2) and are only the second French side to fail to win any of their first three games in the competition, after Montpellier (winless in first six).
- Chelsea are looking to win three consecutive UEFA Champions League matches for the first time since December 2015, while they haven’t won three in a row without conceding since November 2013.
- Rennes have lost seven of their last 10 matches in the UEFA Europa League/Champions League (W1 D2), although only one of those defeats was in a home match, losing 1-0 against CFR Cluj in October 2019 in the Europa League.
- Only Marseille (0 goals from 19 shots) have a worse shot conversion rate than Rennes (1 goal from 29 shots, 3.5%) in the UEFA Champions League this season. None of Rennes’ players have attempted more than four shots so far (Serhou Guirassy the most, 4).
- Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham is looking to become the first Blues player to score in four consecutive UEFA Champions League starts since Nicolas Anelka in February 2011 (five in a row).
- Rennes have used five teenagers in the UEFA Champions League this season, two more than any other club (Camavinga, Doku, Truffert, Soppy, Gboho). They have given at least one teenage debut in each game, with only Bayer Leverkusen between February and October 2014 giving a teenager a debut in four consecutive matches.
- All three of Timo Werner’s UEFA Champions League goals for Chelsea have been penalties – indeed, the German’s last five goals in the competition have been from the penalty spot, the joint-longest run of consecutive goals as penalties by a player along with former Sparta Prague defender Vladimir Labant (five in a row between 1999 and 2001).
🥊 Rennes vs Chelsea Team News
Here is how we think the teams might lineup:
Gomis; Traore, Da Silva, Aguerd, Truffert; Camavinga, Nzonzi, Bourigeaud; Doku, Guirassy, Terrier
Mendy; Azpilicueta, Zouma, Silva, Emerson; Kovacic, Jorginho, Mount; Ziyech, Abraham, Werner
🪐 Futaa Bets
🔮 Score prediction: Rennes 0-2 Chelsea
Follow Chelsea vs Rennes live Futaa!